• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish gender?

a rabid squid

GPO
Registered
i just got a common cuttlefish and i wanted to get an other one and breed them and i want to know how to tell what gender mine is if its something you can just tell me please do, if not ill post a few pics tomorow and if i breed them can i have a few other fish in the tank.

if you have a captive bred baby common cuttlefish to sell me id be interested

if you have any tips on cuttlefish breeding please help me because ive never tried :bonk: :shock:

Hi

There are not much differences in external anatomy between male and female Sepia officinalis (European Common Cuttlefish). You can have a look on my webpage for pictures of special male (hectocotylus) and female (copulatory pouch) body parts. A link is in my sig.
I doubt you will be able to examine your cuttle without disturbing it though...
The best way to tell the gender of your cuttle may be by analysing its behavior. Males often show an "Intense Zebra Display" - females look less spectacular...
You can also have a look at this page http://www.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/cuttle4.html. It's about breeding of cuttles.

Hope that helps,
TK

thanks

thank you for the response
i think it is a girl because it just hangs out at the bottom looking like a rock or something and the only time it changes color is when its eating. :smile:

Re: thanks

a rabid squid said:
thank you for the response
i think it is a girl because it just hangs out at the bottom looking like a rock or something and the only time it changes color is when its eating. :smile:

hmmm all of my males would do that too :smile:

hehe... yes if it takes ages to emerge in the morning and comes out with its tentacles in a mes...its a chick to be sure...lol

the mirror way is the best i have heard other than that they act very similar when by themselves i believe - oh yeah and always listen to collin - lol - he is the authority and has helped me many times!!! (thanks collin)

it would be especially difficult to use the mirrors when you dont have a comparison...

oh yeah and the article in the second link is actually 4 or 5 pages and is one of the best out there (if a bit basic for someone who already owns a ceph) but still worth reading a few times (i have many times...lol - lack of info on web...lol)

oh yeah and i am interested as to why the 11% thought it was a bad idea... im not saying you are wrong at all but i havent heard that side of the argument before so i am interested!!! :smile:

um no offense tigerkatze 82 but your website is really confusing. i cant find any information. its to flashy, it looks cool but there are too many colors and things going on. it hurts my brain.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back