Cuttlefish Eggs

centratus

Hatchling
Registered
Hello,
I just received some cuttlefish eggs, but am not sure which species they are. They may be officinalis. Are there photos of officinalis eggs or other the eggs of other species on this site or others??
Thanks

:welcome: to TONMO. It seems like we're rarely seeing any cuttles other than bandensis these days, so that's probably the most likely... although officinalis do show up from time to time.

Upvote 0
Sound like bandensis, or what we are calling as bandensis. :smile:

Do they look like this:
DSC_7252.jpg

Upvote 0
eggs

That's the right color, except even darker; can't see any of the embryo. Also, the "ends" of the eggs, the cord, is much longer, maybe 1/4" long.

I did find this photo of Sepia officinalis eggs. Note that each egg has a little bulb on the end but we cant see the chord that attaches them to a common stalk.

http://www.naturephoto-online.com/igel-photo-1-3979.htm

The eggs that I have dod not have the little bulb on the end; instead they are round, like the bandensis eggs in this photo, except, once again, I can't see the embryos.

Anyways, what I'm really trying to figure out is what temperature to use. If they are bandensis, they need warm water 78 degrees, if they are officinalis, they need colder water, maybe 60 or 65 degrees. Right?

Attachments

• conv_292502.jpg
    conv_292502.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 0
Where are you located and where did you get the eggs? Do you know where the eggs were collected? What did they call the eggs where you got them? If you are in the US, they are prolly not officinalis, because they just don't show up in the trade.
Eggs of both species tend to get more transparent nearer to hatching. They also 'inflate'. If they stay dark and small, they may not be fertile.

Upvote 0
eggs

I am in the U.S. I do not know where the eggs were collected or how many dealers sold and re sold these eggs before I received them. I am guessing they passed through at least several hands.

Upvote 0
Ok. How long can the bandensis take to hatch? Also, do they prefer very quiet water but still like to feel some current? And do they like to be someplace darkish, or does that not matter.
Thanks

Upvote 0
I received my eggs Dec 11 and the final hatchling was I believe the 26th. My cuttles that are in low light and low flow are bigger, more active, and more curious than those in high light and high flow. My observations indicate that low light and low flow is the way to go while rearing hatchlings.

Upvote 0
They definitely look like Dwarf Cuttles (Sepia Bandensis) They already look close to hatching. When you can see good movement in the eggs they are close. Definitely like movement in the tank. Even though it looks like they are being bounced about it really helps their development. Not excessive but enough current to cause the eggs to tumble.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back