• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish eggs and babies for sale

:biggrin2: All,

I just got an email from the owner of NYAQUATIC and he just got in an order of cuttlefish eggs and babies. He is another person who supplies cuttlefish and will work with you to make sure you are happy. I have had good luck with ordering from this place and when I did have an issue the owner corrected it when I called.

Here is the email I just received:

more eggs and babies in stock

Michael Stern
914-661-3128
www.NYAquatic.com

I HOPE THIS POST DOESN'T BOTHER ANYONE, as far as I know this site is not forbidden to use.

:lol: Nothing is forbidden, you make it sound like we are snobs :lol: maybe we are IDK. But some sites are frowned upon do to poor business practices or ethical reasons. I believe a few people here have ordered from NYaquatics, though I have never done business with them myself.

Sorry to say, I just found out that some are! But because there is no list posted of store not to use because they are banned from this site, I will just have to use trial and error. I have been away for a few years after I lost my two cuttlefish due to a five day power outage a few year back. I searched for about a year and couldn't find anyone who could get any type of cuttlefish. I was put on waiting list at some places that claimed they could get them but they never could. Now I am laid off work and had some time to kill, I logged onto here and found a site posted on TONMO and I order eggs from them. I posted thanks and I had good luck and got posted to death that I shouldn't deal with them and to remove them from my posts and never post a link to them again. I have never had this type of cuttlefish before and they seem much harder to raise past the first week. Instead of getting hopeful post on how to take care of them, all I got was complaints about using a store that this site sent me to in the first place. I have lost 2 baby cuttlefish out of the 7 that I had from what looks like a feeding issue. When I joined this site in 2003 the people seen nicer and more willing to help.

I am sorry about that. I know which site you refer to and I am sorry you didnt receive the help you needed. I too had lost ALL of my cuttles with in the first 2 weeks of them hatching... 22 of them talk about frustrating. I dont know the cause of the failure I just know that it made me want my octopuses back. Now I have 3 octopuses and am as happy as a clam.

They are thought of as a bad company, and it isnt your fault you had no way to know. The search option on TONMO is somewhat lacking and can make information difficult to find. What does make it easier is to do a google search using (this is an example and not the company discussed in this thread)
foster and smith site:tonmo.com

Mike Bauer;174665 said:
Sorry to say, I just found out that some are! But because there is no list posted of store not to use because they are banned from this site, I will just have to use trial and error. I have been away for a few years after I lost my two cuttlefish due to a five day power outage a few year back. I searched for about a year and couldn't find anyone who could get any type of cuttlefish. I was put on waiting list at some places that claimed they could get them but they never could. Now I am laid off work and had some time to kill, I logged onto here and found a site posted on TONMO and I order eggs from them. I posted thanks and I had good luck and got posted to death that I shouldn't deal with them and to remove them from my posts and never post a link to them again. I have never had this type of cuttlefish before and they seem much harder to raise past the first week. Instead of getting hopeful post on how to take care of them, all I got was complaints about using a store that this site sent me to in the first place. I have lost 2 baby cuttlefish out of the 7 that I had from what looks like a feeding issue. When I joined this site in 2003 the people seen nicer and more willing to help.

Mike - the non support of that site is new, but has been brewing for a while. There is a very long thread in the Sources for Cephalopods forum where many vendors are discussed (its been easier to keep them in one place for reference sake). I think the reason that you didn't get lots of instant help was compound - you referenced articles that have the information we now know you are/were looking for so we thought you had the info, and you didn't actually ask for help or ask questions which made it hard to know that you were looking for.
Once I knew you were looking for help I started helping you and giving you information, but given your post I can't help feeling that that help is unappreciated. I hope I am wrong.
I feel a little taken aback by your saying that you were posted to death about them given that you have contacted the company and asked them to contact TONMO and to contact individual TONMO members. In a very significant way, you have been keeping the discussion going.

I hope you can see that disagreement about a vendor is not not being nice. While members of the TONMO community can get busy, they are almost all willing to help wherever they can. I hope we can put this behind us and move forward.

Thanks!

Sorry to sound unappreciative, that is not the case. I am a bit stresses by the loss of the baby cuttlefish. Thanks for you help.

So far I have 3 left and I will try to get some mysin asap. I never had this kind of problem with my other cuttlefish and I think they are much easier to raise. I kept them twice 3 one year and 2 the next and only lost 1 out of 5 in 2 years. This time seems to suck for me, I have lost around 2 orders, over 12 babies. They eggs all hatch great and then they died within 2 weeks. I am sure water quality isn't the issue on the second group. The first were in a 10 gal tank and the nitrates spiked on me and took out my first batch at about the 2 week. Do you know of any place I can get Sepia officinalis? I will raise them again if the 3 Sepia bandensis don't make it. Inky and squirt use to eat a soft shelled crab and large feeder fish daily. :roflmao:

current photo of one of the 3 cuttlefish left.

Here is a photo of one of the 3 cuttlefish that I have left. They are about the same size, one seems a little smaller. Almost 3 weeks old now.

Attachments

• conv_298057.jpg
    conv_298057.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 182
  • conv_298058.jpg
    conv_298058.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 154
They are sooo cute. I think if I do cuttles again I will try the larger species. I think feeding shore shrimp would be easier (I am close to the coast so they are much cheaper to find) and hopefully they would be hardier than the cuttles I got before. I just need to talk my husband into that 250 gallon tank I want so much :biggrin2: I feel your frustration about them only living 2 weeks or so. ALL of mine died with in 2 weeks, I have no idea why. Good luck to your babies. I will keep my :fingerscrossed: for you.

Mike Bauer;174749 said:
Here is a photo of one of the 3 cuttlefish that I have left. They are about the same size, one seems a little smaller. Almost 3 weeks old now.

I hope the dime wasn't in the water with them!

wasn't yours

No, clear plastic container on top of dime. I was going to use a penny but it is made out of copper! :smile:

You should post a warning on your photo! Do not put money in water or your cuttlefish will die. :wink:

I just place a order for mysid shrimp. For now I started floating the frozen stuff in front of them with a little current so it keeps moving around slowly and I add a few of the brine as well.
Thanks for the help! :notworth:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back