Cuttlefish diet

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
My original S officinalis were fed almost entirely on live or locally collected food. And the small Sepia I have just now are also going to get the same treatment for the time being. I often collected and froze food on the same day.

I also think that variety is important and have fed cuttlefish a few different items, anything in moderation is ideal.

This has included... Live, 3 species of crab, hermit crabs - deshelled, squat lobsters, 3 or 4 species of prawn and fish.

dead, prawns, squid, fish and crabs.

I never had much luck getting them to take mussels, clams or scallops

Once, I fed them squid. Next day I lost one cuttle to cannibalism and the normal little tussels over food became more serious with chunks being taken... never used squid again. I guessed that cuttlefish and squid must taste quite similar? LOL

So to recap, I don't think even enriched shrimps is a good staple diet, they need variety and feeder animals themselves are only as nutritious as their last meal. Just now I catch several shrimps, put them in a tub with a good quality aquarium fish flake for an hour or two and then immediately feed them to the cuttles

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
I must admit we NEVER feed frozen only live......plus we don't actually get the large cuttles here so we don't keep them only the wee sepiolids!

J

PS well the cephs and seahorses get live ........the other fish get frozen!

Thank you so much for the responses everyone! One of the main concerns about the frozen shrimp only diet was that the shrimp are partially cooked. As I was talking to some others about this they were not sure if the shrimp were already cooked before freezing or if they had become that way during thawing....I was not present as this was another persons cuttles, but that did seem an issue to me. I was also wondering if the frozen shrimp only diet might have any effect on their life span...just postulating, but I was wondering if we REALLY know how a diet affects a cuttle. Perhaps an 8 month life span is cut short by a month due to some yet unkown nutritional issue. Granted a month is not long, however when they only live a few months to begin with it seems more pertinent. Mine are Sepia pharaonis. All of the live food is enriched, however I had asked someone if there was any way to enrich the frozen shrimp and was told that there was not. Does anyone else know of a way to maybe add some sort of vitamins, or something to the frozen shrimp? I have also wondered about giving them vitamin pills of some sort...anyone had any experience?

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
I would say partially cooked shrimp is not a great idea, many nutrients get cooked out! As for enriching frozen food you could try soaking them in a vitamin solution (checking of course that there is no copper :smile: ) Something like selcon, maybe. I guess if you can get live food from a clean area or reputable dealer ...it's always going to be the best option.

Even when we feed frozen fish to the aquarium inhabitants it's always export quality!

J

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Yes, i agree with Jean here and that pre-cooked then frozen foods are bound to have a lot of the nutrients missing from them that fresh food has.

Yesterday while out grocery shopping I stocked up on some raw fresh tiger prawn tails (from ASDA Mikey) and have got them frozen. Tried a wee bit of them on the baby cuttles last night but they didn't recognise them as food. Point is they were in the section for stuff just about to go out of its best before date and I got two big tubs for pennies.

Also froze a lot of the large Palemon shrimps that I caught on Saturday. They will be ideal for using later when they grow a bit or use bits of their tails when they don't have to reply on food looking like shrimps.

The cuttles only eat the same part we do so buying raw tails is perfect.

When i am feeding other animals like my amphibians or fish i quite often hide 'good fo them' foods inside the dead food item, EG Reptomin food sticks inside a dead mouse for my large frogs but that only probably works for feeding animals that eat something whole... never tried it with cephalopods

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Interesting discussion - I've done a lot of reading on this subject, but for humans! However, the same concerns exist.

The best quality seafood with the most nutrients is either very fresh or quickly frozen and rushed to you. Ideally it should be kept well frozen and never allowed to thaw, then freeze again - you pay more for seafood that's been properly handled.

I used to go early in the morning to the best seafood shop in town where they had gulf shrimp caught the day before, frozen on the shrimp boat and rushed to Dallas. The store unfroze the 5-pound block of ice and shrimp early in the morning. I was able to buy shimp that was still partially frozen and rush it home on ice. I used it that day, maybe the next, but no longer. That seemed to work very well. It was also quite expensive ($16-$22/pound).

Also, if you catch your own food along the seashore, the question of water quality and pollution comes up. I don't imagine this is an issue for Colin in Scotland, but it's something to consider along some of the US coastlines.

I've read of cephs rejecting food that's too old, such as a frozen shrimp thawed out several days before.

It's an interesting point about the food affecting the lifespan - there's so much we still don't know.

Nancy

I knew that food cooked and then frozen would definitely lose nutrients, but what do you guys think if the food was partially cooking during the thawing process?..also I have access to selcon, how long should the shrimp soak and what keeps the selcon from being mostly lost when it hits the water?....it would be very easy to slip these guys some vitamins, food sticks, or anything else in their food, so any ideas on what would be best to sneak to them?

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hi Oscar

yeah I got half a dozen of Mike's wee babies :smile:

They are doing fine. Still in a nursery tank as I havn't quite finished my new fish room project, but its getting there.

They are still on live Crangon shrimps and tiny shore crabs at the moment, hope they will move onto dead food soon

cheers
Colin

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
sounds good - i bet you'll be glad to be back into it after all that time! And the fish room sounds like you managed to persuade the other half... how are the salamanders and that going by the way? any new additions?