• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish Availablity

Does anyone have any eggs/recent hatchlings?

I'd really like to do a study for my independant study course this semester involving S. bandensis. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

seeking cuttlefish in seattle washington

Hey there!

I have to thank NOVA for their cuttlefish special the other day, ever since then, i cannot seem to stop thinking about them, and now my boyfriend and i are seriously considering getting our very own cuttlefish. So, this is where i need your help. We live on the west coast, seattle washington, to be exact, and we're not sure where we can get a healthy cuttlefish from. So, does anyone know of any place in the greater seattle area where we can possiably accuire a cuttlefish. also, if we did get one, we were thinking we could go down to our local marina and grab a few of those small crabs that live under the rocks, just to save money, are they ok to give to cuttlefish? I guess if you guys have any advice for beginners and how-to's id greatly appreciate it.

thanks!

waiting

i live in seattle as well and hope to get 4-6 so i can get a pair but only want the pair mabye two pair but i think i heard they might be on vacation.

sorry that was short i would be glad to give the other cuttles from the six but far as getting them we have to wait for availability also check the link above cuttle farm army

artsychicken02;123196 said:
Hey there!

I have to thank NOVA for their cuttlefish special the other day, ever since then, i cannot seem to stop thinking about them, and now my boyfriend and i are seriously considering getting our very own cuttlefish. So, this is where i need your help. We live on the west coast, seattle washington, to be exact, and we're not sure where we can get a healthy cuttlefish from. So, does anyone know of any place in the greater seattle area where we can possiably accuire a cuttlefish. also, if we did get one, we were thinking we could go down to our local marina and grab a few of those small crabs that live under the rocks, just to save money, are they ok to give to cuttlefish? I guess if you guys have any advice for beginners and how-to's id greatly appreciate it.

thanks!

:welcome: to TONMO

You found the right thread to watch for finding cuttlefish. Thales, Paradox, and Shipposhack have had good luck with breeding them over the past year or so, but we haven't gotten updates for a bit (go back a few pages) and it's probably best to order from them, since the suppliers for most fish stores are sort of unpredictable... of course, if you can find a local fish store that reliably has cuttles let us know!

A lot of people have fed locally caught crabs and shrimp, so it can be done, as long as the marina isn't horribly polluted.

Make sure to check out the ceph care articles (click the ARTICLES button at the top of the page) for more info!

well im new to tonmo but i have been keeping reef tanks and FO tanks for awhile as well as Mantis Shrimp so i understand the need for keeping a predator tank...looking to add cuttlefish to the list now

anyways i see that this thread hasnt been posted in for awhile...is there any update on the availability of these awesome animals? i might try and see if my sister-in-law who is a teacher can get me a few Sepia pharaonis from that place in texas

dwhatley;125002 said:
Be sure you are aware of the size of the pharaonis - they need a VERY large tank.

whoops :lol: it was my understanding that they were in between the size of the Sepia officinalis and the Sepia bandensis...that takes that one out of the equation

mattyice;125042 said:
whoops :lol: it was my understanding that they were in between the size of the Sepia officinalis and the Sepia bandensis...that takes that one out of the equation

They are, actually. Sepia officinalis can get a bit bigger, even (18 inches / 45cm). Pharonis can get almost that big (like 12-16 inches.) They both need quite large tanks as adults.

mattyice;125042 said:

For reference bandensis max out at 6" and I am not sure if any of our keepers have had them grow quite that large.

dwhatley;125101 said:
For reference bandensis max out at 6" and I am not sure if any of our keepers have had them grow quite that large.

yeah, i thought the pharaonis was a little close to the size of the bandensis...my 125 wouldnt be large enough for the pharaonis anyways so that took it out of the equation immediately

I've actually been tryin to get ahold of Paradox in concerns to some Bandensis. I checked out his page, that's a hella cool tank set up. Even the squrril skulls he's got on there. Not exactly sure what those are, but it fits.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back