• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish Aquarium Build

Mr. Oraange

Hatchling
Registered
Hoping to get a single S. bandensis in the coming months, and have been planning an aquarium for quite a while. Currently looking at a Deep Blue 30 Gallon Rimless (24x24x12), and was wondering if anybody could chime in on the hardware I'm planning on putting in.
A tube would run down into a 10 gallon(?) sump, go through a Hydro Slim Skin Nano Skimmer, pass a 100W Eheim Jager Thermometer, go back into the tank with the help of a Hydor Universal Pump, and finally pass through a Deep Blue 30 Gallon Biomaxx.

I've only kept nano tanks before, so I'm not sure if this will be enough to sustain a 30 gallon, let alone a cuttlefish.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Your sump will not be to full capacity so the bigger the better since you need to allow for back drain when the power is off. IMO, 10 gallons is far too small. If you have room, make the sump as large as you can fit. You will need to be careful with height as your skimmer will need clearance to remove and clean the skimmer bucket. I like the Coralife skimmers for both their clearance and skimming ability for a low end skimmer.

When you say "tube" are you talking about drilling a hole in the main tank and attaching a bulkhead or trying to go over the top of the tank? I am a major fan of a drilled tank over trying to keep a siphon system working. If you are not drilling the tank (or it does not come drilled) you will need a siphon box, not just a tube.

You will also need to add some kind of particulate and chemical (carbon) filtration. Some people prefer to send the dirty water to the skimmer first but your skimmer will not take all of the water flow. I use probably the simplest set up by sending the tank water to a filter sock containing a bag of carbon. My skimmer is in the sump and skims using a separate pump. For heating (when necessary in the winter) I keep a titanium heater in the sump. Look through some of the Tank Buildouts thread in the tank talk thread for some of the most typical flow set ups.

The Deep Blue has a corner module thing going on, so I thought I would have the Biomaxx's output valve connect into the sump, and then lead up from the sump back to the aquarium through the slits in the corner.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back