• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle tank

i am planning a cuttle tank for either a s. bandenis* or an s. valari* im not sure about the spelling. but is there any special things to keep in mind about the thank. ie do i need to Octotight it like i did to my octo tank or will it not crawl out. also what gph is reccomended, and what tank mates could i have, ie... clean up crew, coral ect

You will not need to seal the tank for a cuttle wouldnt escape. However, making sure the intakes are covered is a good idea. Snails, starfish, urchins should be fine, but any crustaceans like hermits..etc will be food...

Good luck!

Tank Mates

Just FYI, I have living with my Bimac, a African Horned Starfish, a Fancy Serpant Sea Star, two Damsels, and one Peppermint Shrimp. I bought the shrimp before I had Herman to eat the Aptasias which he did wonderfully. My intention was to return him to the store but I could neve catch him. Herman also cannot catch him so I guess he is ok. I have a question if someone can answer. At what age/size can a Bimac catch a Peppermint shrimp if ever? Herman reaches for the Damsels and the shrimp but only half-heartedly. Maybe a cuttle is faster?

~Paul

Regarding your cuttle question, obviously Colin or Righty would be good potential answer-men, but as for your octopus - has he shown any ambush predator potential? Looking like a rock, waiting for the damsels or shrimp to get too close, lashing out, that sort of thing?

Hi Paul

As far as size is concerned, I have seen octopuses catch and eat things larger than their mantle size so I'd say that anything near the same size as them is potential food.

Also, I do beleive that cuttlefish are much faster at catching food. Perhaps they would stand a better chance of catching the damsels.

I think you should try hard to remove the damsels. The quality of life for both you and the octopus will get better. You will see the octopus much more when potential competition is removed.

cheers
Colin

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back