• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttle hygene

magikceph

O. vulgaris
Registered
i wanted to put a tank in the corner of my room on a stand. but is that bad. it is only about 10 feet from my bed, and only 2 feet from my desk and computer. is there gonna be a problem. Diseases. stuff like that. transferred from the cuttlefish to me, or vice-versa.

magikceph;92740 said:
i wanted to put a tank in the corner of my room on a stand. but is that bad. it is only about 10 feet from my bed, and only 2 feet from my desk and computer. is there gonna be a problem. Diseases. stuff like that. transferred from the cuttlefish to me, or vice-versa.

I would worry a lot more wrecking your computer with salt water than any sort of infection in that situation. People and cephalopods are different enough that they're less likely to transmit pathogens than, say, dogs and cats. There will be random bacteria and other microbes in your tank that can cause opportunistic infections, though, so you should be careful if you have open cuts or something (or if a cuttle bites you), and use peroxide and topical antibiotic ointment. Just like if a dog/cat/sibling bites you or licks an open wound or something, you should sterilize it.

its a really crappy computer anyway, excuse my language. i wouldn't mind ruining it. i would rather have a cuttlefish than that computer any day. it doesn't even have internet. the one i log onto tonmo with it in the living room. i actually ony use that for art and sometimes playing the sims. which i can do even faster and without lag woth the one in the living room. so all in all i really shouldn't be worried about infections, right? i guess

magikceph;92740 said:

I would definitely worry about your computer, dealing with salt water can be messy. Do you have a carpet? There will be drips and spills no matter how careful you are. There is no way you can get a disease from a cuttlefish by sleeping near it.

ya i have a fully carpeted aparment, except bathroom and kitchen of course. um so that might be a problem, but can set it up in my kitchen probably, will that be a hygene problem. it will be on the dinner table (no longer used for dinner). and that is plenty of room. but it is about 15 feet from the stove, counter, refridgerator. and 5 feet from the dish washer.

magikceph;92757 said:
ya i have a fully carpeted aparment, except bathroom and kitchen of course. um so that might be a problem, but can set it up in my kitchen probably, will that be a hygene problem. it will be on the dinner table (no longer used for dinner). and that is plenty of room. but it is about 15 feet from the stove, counter, refridgerator. and 5 feet from the dish washer.

Remember also, that you will need to have electrical cords running to the outlet in the wall... You don't want to trip over those while stumbling for some caffeine in the morning.

i dont stumble, also it will be going into the wall from the table and the table is pshed up next to the wall. anyway i dont know where to put them.

magikceph;92787 said:
i dont stumble, also it will be going into the wall from the table and the table is pshed up next to the wall. anyway i dont know where to put them.

That's what I said just before I stumbled and broke my leg in several places! Accidents can and do happen :lol:!

Just be careful in a kitchen area that no detergent or cooking oils etc can get in the tank, these things can aerosolize and fine droplets get everywhere. You could get a sheet of plastic matting to put under the tank stand, Soft furnishing stores often sell it by the metre (at least here in NZ they do!) to put down to protect hallway carpet from heavy traffic or for in bathrooms.

Cheers

J

Jean;92789 said:
That's what I said just before I stumbled and broke my leg in several places! Accidents can and do happen :lol:!

Just be careful in a kitchen area that no detergent or cooking oils etc can get in the tank, these things can aerosolize and fine droplets get everywhere. You could get a sheet of plastic matting to put under the tank stand, Soft furnishing stores often sell it by the metre (at least here in NZ they do!) to put down to protect hallway carpet from heavy traffic or for in bathrooms.

Cheers

J

i think keeping the ktchen supplies out is a must, and about the stubling thing. whenever i am going to get hurt i give the jinx to my friend nick. so far i have never broken a one and he has broken his leg twice, both his arms once, he cracked his skull open, and butsted his foot up. bad for him:cry: good for me:smile:

I would strongly recommend a purpose-built tank stand. Keep in mind saltwater is very corrosive as well, make sure the stand is intended for salt.

The weight you're expecting to hold is likely much more than a desk is designed to safely handle.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back