• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle fish and powerheads?

treefiddy

Cuttlefish
Registered
First thanks for the cuttles Daniel they arrived not hatched so I'm just waiting,Now I'm interested in confirming my suspicions I have two koralia 3's in my 55gal are those going to be dangerous for the cuttles and if so what power heads do you recommend?

You can cover the intake of any of them with foam - like you would use with an aquaclear hang on back filter. Good amount of current is subjective, so I can't really help you there. There may even be a way to cover the intake area of the koralia, but you would have to play with that.

If it's possible for you to drill a closed loop in, that would be the best option, I personally never plan on, nor will put a ceph in a tank with powerheads just because of the possible danger, it's not worth it IMO. Also, it would be very easy for you to just set up some plumbing for a hang-over closed loop. No drilling or anything, just pvc and a pump, not expensive, and not as much of a risk to cephs.

L8 2 RISE;129695 said:
If it's possible for you to drill a closed loop in, that would be the best option, I personally never plan on, nor will put a ceph in a tank with powerheads just because of the possible danger, it's not worth it IMO. Also, it would be very easy for you to just set up some plumbing for a hang-over closed loop. No drilling or anything, just pvc and a pump, not expensive, and not as much of a risk to cephs.

It seems that a closed loop would present most of the same dangers as a powerhead would. In either case, the intake must be ceph proofed. What do you see as the difference between the two?

Thales;129696 said:
It seems that a closed loop would present most of the same dangers as a powerhead would. In either case, the intake must be ceph proofed. What do you see as the difference between the two?

It's waaay easier to cover up and keep unwanted things from going down. Also, even if you were able to cover up the intake on a powerhead, an extra curious octo could end up putting its arms in the output too far... I just think closed loops are way easier to keep stuff from going down, and, as an added bonus, are more aesthetically pleasing, as in some cases, you can't even see it, and in others, it's easy to camoflauge as apposed to a big black box in the aquarium...

just my :twocents:

Nope, I just don't see how covering the intake of a closed loop is any easier than covering the intake of most powerheads.

58.JPG
I don't uderstand how you would cover the intake of a powerhead such as a koralia or other similar pumps with sponge easily and thoroughly... You'd have to wrap the sponge around it and cut it to fit or something.... obviously I'm missing something :oops: I've never had anything but closed loops except for a very little 25 gph turned down to the slowest possible "setting" on my 2 gallon and never plan to use anything but closed loops. It's way easier IMO because instead of having a round sort of grate-type thing on pumps like koralia's, you have a round pvc opening that there are actually sponge fittings you can put on, or mesh, or pretty much anything.

As for the arms being sucked in thing... I was visualizing a pump such as a koralia, as that is what this thread was started about, and it just seems to me that it wouldn't be too hard for an octo to stick it's arms into the "grate" around the pump and somehow get them into the impeller..

obviously I'm missing something here:tomato::oops:

Right. Like I said earlier, you would have to experiment with a koralia, but I think it would be done. Any other kind of power head, like a maxi jet, has an intake that is essentially a piece of pipe which can be easily covered in foam or whatever.

Thanks,for the input I think what I'll do is to put a pump in the sump with a output going in over the side so as to eliminate the intake all together and I've taken precautions on my overflow...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back