• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle fish and powerheads?

For a cuttlefish, the koralia are probably fine without modifying it. The intake is very dispersed unlike typical powerheads. I run vortechs without any modified covering and they are much much stronger then koralia pumps. Once in a while I would see a cuttle against a vortech. I would walk closer to the tank to turn the pump off, thinking that it was stuck, but the second it see me, the cuttlefish leaves the pump on its own. Ive later learned that they sometimes like to do this or play in the flow. However, if the cuttlefish is weak and dying, just like any animal, it may get stuck in the pump. This situation often causes the incorrect conclusion that the pump was the cause of the cuttles demise, not realizing that the cuttlefish was dead or dying prior to it getting stuck in the pump.

Thanks a lot paradox I'll go ahead and leave the koralia 3 then... Out of the four eggs by the way three hatched awesome unfortunately the ten gal hatchery didn't work out and I lost one but the other two are doing well it seems,I think possibly the flow was to bothersome and made it difficult to get the food.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back