[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Cuttle babies take 2

A couple of weeks ago my boss ordered 2 baby Bandensis. I did not know that our suppliers had cuttles available, but it was cool that we got some. They were definitely no more than a few days old. I fed them that night, and one ate a mysid, then I put them in the system. I get to work the next day, and don't see them. I find out that my boss accidentally threw them down the drain! Sad though it may be, this ended up working out for me because he told me that they also had eggs available. I told him to order me some and they arrived on Thursday (Mar 5). We got 2 clutches in, but I only bought one. There are 6 full eggs, which I expect to hatch mid-late next week. The eggs were cheap - I got them for $25. I hope this batch works out better than my last one. These should be more manageable since I only have one clutch instead of two.

I probably won't be posting a lot of pictures because I still can't find my camera from when we moved, but I will do what I can.

The eggs are currently in a floating breeder tank in my 55 with 4-T5HO and an Octopus skimmer.

I'll try to keep this thread up-to-date on important events. It's good to be back in the ceph world.

First hatchling was yesterday, March 9. Today there is another. I ordered 500 mysids from Paul Sachs today.

I found out last night that mysids are able to escape the container I have my cuttles in, so I will somehow be putting plastic canvas or similar on the sides so that can't slip through any more.

They are so tiny :smile:.

Yeah, I work for The Aquarium. We probably have another clutch/babies in right now if you are looking for cuttles. I doubt we sold it.

I cleaned off my glass so I can see the babies better. I saw a couple of them change color in the egg which was really neat. I noticed how transparent their skin is when they are newborns as well which I didn't see with my last batch. I can still see the cuttlebone on the 2 that are hatched. I also noticed a horseshoe-looking transparent mark on the side of the mantle right next to the head of each cuttle. The open end of the horseshoe faces toward the head.

Ahhh cool! Tell Brad Tracy said hey.. I own The Living Art Aquarium in St. George, I have been raising baby cuttles for a just over a year now. I have 14 babies right now, all eating and doing great.

I am so bad with updates ^^'

Sunday, March 15 I had 6 total. The total is still at 6. Tonight I bought some PE Mysis in hopes that they might eat it, although I wasn't really expecting them to. Four of the cuttles went right for them. I am so excited :smile:. Next week I am going on vacation and if they are eating frozen there is so much less worry that will go on. I also got another full order of mysids today from Sachs so the other two should be fine with a live supply until they go to frozen. I took some pictures tonight. Cuttles are still about pinkie-nail size, maybe a little larger. If you remember my last journal you know how bad I am at posting pictures, but I will try to get some up sometime :smile:. I have only been feeding once a day, probably a couple mysids a piece. I am not sure if some bugs snuck into the breeder that the cuttles might be snacking on in between feedings or not, but I presumed some have. I always see a bunch of mysids hanging out in the top corner of the tank right by the breeder. It's like they are just waiting to get sucked in :wink:.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back