• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Curious about Cuttlefish

DIXAISY

Hatchling
Registered
For the past twelve hours I've been absolutely fascinated by this forum/website. I have a few questions about the dwarf cuttlefish (bandedis?).

Is it difficult and/or risky to ship them?

Is a 30 gallon tall tank suitable for one dwarf cuttlefish?

Is it better for them to be with other dwarf cuttlefish, or are solitary ones content by themselves?

I noticed there's not as many posts about illness with these guys, as with other saltwater fish. Is this because there is less known about treating them, or they less prone to disease?

I believe I have read somewhere that you need to keep octupuses mentally stimulated (I believe one example is putting their food in a jar with a lid on it). Does the same need to be done for cuttlefish?

That's all my silly questions for now...I know I'll have more, the more I read. :biggrin2:

:welcome: Thanks for taking the time to read what is available on this forum, it will answer most of your questions.

Originally posted by Dixaisy I noticed there's not as many posts about illness with these guys, as with other saltwater fish. Is this because there is less known about treating them, or they less prone to disease?

When cephalopods show signs of illness, it is usually too late to help them :sad: I have seen some cephalopods recover from injuries (cuts, missing tentacles) but if the injury develops an infection, there is not much you can do...

Thanks, I did some more reading. I was wondering if you could tell me if I am understanding this all right...

a 30 gallon would be suitable for just one bandenis, but it sounds like they can do alright by themselves. From what I understand, you should only keep more than one together if they've been raised together.

It doesn't sound like they need to be entertained like octo's, but CAN they be? I really didn't find any info on this.....

I have a basic idea of the setup needed (i.e. filtration, ligthing, etc). A protein skimmer is a definate, along with some sort of HOB filter, and probably a power-head?

I've been reading about how people stock their cuddlefish tanks. A few of them bought "extra" cuddlefish, to compensate for die-off. Is this a good route to go? For example, if I wanted to have one, should I get two or three (all young, of course).

To be honest, it's all slightly overwhelming still, since it seems there are many ways to do things.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back