• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cry for help

pilotinho

Blue Ring
Registered
Hello all, I am Paul, I have been a member for a while but recently moved to Brazil from California (where I had easy access to Bimacs) What was I thinking when I moved? Anyway, I am now living in Curitiba in Southern Brazil. I want to go down to the coast to catch an Octopus, I have no idea what kinds live here other than what I found on Cephbase. My question (finally) is How do I make an Octopus Trap??

Octopus traps........... we use a cray (or lobster) pot. Essentially what you need is a container that can have bait secured in it with a narrowish neck. In the med they use amphora style clay pots. Octis are surprisingly reluctant to leave these dens even when it is being brought to the surface. I've had some success using (clean!) coke cans for small octis, you do need to file the opening so it's not too sharp tho'

cheers

J

I was thinking of just tossing in some PVC with a cap at one end with food at the bottom. In any case I will send you all pictures of whatever I catch. My tank is fully cycled and ready for fun. I really miss my bimac and can't wait to get another. This time I have a 70 Gallon tank. It should be interesting.

"... a Neapolitan author, Signora Jeanne Caròla Francesconi (1965), has given a vivid description of methods of fishing based on the fact that the true octopus (the kind with two rows of suckers on each arm) is especially attracted by the color white. Thus a piece of white rag may be placed in the center of a five-pronged hook and lowered down to ensnare the octopus. 'It is also fished with a pottery amphora (called a 'mummarella') which is likewise painted white and contains white stones; this is lowered to the bottom on the end of a rope, near a rock. The 'true' octopus, if he sees it, will empty the pebbles out and instal himself inside as though in a nest. The fisherman, alerted by seeing the white pebbles scattered outside the amphora, pulls it up and thus catches the octopus.'

Never tried it...

Source:
Answers - The Most Trusted Place for Answering Life's Questions

pilotinho;89742 said:
I was thinking of just tossing in some PVC with a cap at one end with food at the bottom. In any case I will send you all pictures of whatever I catch. My tank is fully cycled and ready for fun. I really miss my bimac and can't wait to get another. This time I have a 70 Gallon tank. It should be interesting.

Good luck!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back