• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cross breeding cuttles

if anyone has a s. pharohnis or s. bandensis please contact me i need a genetic sample to put in the machine at hopkins marine lab

So...

My contacts have told me that they have caught some 10 cuttles the last night, all the same! I could see it in the headlines "Mad Kid Clones Cuttle, Public In Panic" or " Ceph War II: Attack of the Clones"

Anyone playing Runescape?

I am working on crossbreeding cuttlefish with cows.

Just think of the vast undersea herds of livestock grazing away...

In 1985 at Sea Life Park in Hawaii, a female Atlantic Bottlenose dolphin mated with a false killer whale and gave birth to a female "wholpin". The wholpin mated with a male Atlantic Bottlenose dolphin and has given birth to three calves. One lived a few days, one nine years and the latest was born Dec. 2004. I always thought that hybrids would be sterile, but I guess not... so maybe cross-breeding cuttles would work.

There is a huge size difference between a false killer whale (14 ft. 2000pounds) and a bottlenose dolphin (6 ft. 400 pounds).

Mules are infertile because of their chromosome compliment, I would imagine that if one of the parents (horse/ donkey) had an extra chromosome - maybe downs syndrome in horses? the offspring would be fertile.

The problem comes from the fact that there is one extra chromosome in the mule that doesnt have a "partner".
The sexual organs all work in mules, and there have actually been a number of mules that have given birth- (perhaps due to natural defects like downs sydrome?)

An isteresting thing when crossing species is hybrid vigor - a mix of two parants with very different genetic backgrounds actually increases the animals fitness(in the darwinian sense).
This is why mules are so strong.

How cool is this "zonkey"!!! :biggrin2:
zonkey.jpg

edit:
Just looked up the donkey thing - a horse has 64 chromosomes, a donkey 62, and a mule 63, which is why it doesnt work.

We had a zedonk at one of the zoos...nasty little critter.

I'm still holding out for my cowttle.

greg

In regards to breeding something 10 times the size, I have personally seen a chihuaha (sp?) go at an old english mastiff. One of our show dogs when i was younger was a 225 lb mastiff. That little dog went right for her when she was laying down, lol. So 5 lbs into 225...45 times his size.

Not all Hybrids are sterile, not all hybrids aren't. Nobody sat down and wrote the book of nature, the only rules it follows are doing what works best, However I doubt that this project will work without you getting ahold of and cutting up several cuttles. and even if you do get good sperm and place it well it would be dificult to say weather it will work or not, why not put your efforts towards breeding sepia for aquarists and take presure of wild stocks, when cuttles are common your chances of making a hybrid will increse.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back