[Octopus]: Creepy - O. briareus

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I don't think I will ever get photos of Creepy. She/He is never out with the lights on and I have not even seen him/her out at night for two weeks. I know there is activity (and can find him/her in the tank) because, like KaySoh, Creepy has started rearranging the rocks. One large heavy clam shell was hauled up about 18" vertically and then placed at the back of the tank. An even larger shell was taken up about 6" and abandoned. A bit odd because Creepy moved both of these shells to close off the front of her main den about two weeks ago. The new placement is not near a denning area in either case. Because both octos of the same species are moving things around I suspect both are female and we are entering into prebrooding behavior. This would be about the right time of the year since small briareus are most often available in the spring (according to Tom). There is no chance that KaySoh will brood young but a slight possibility that Creepy has mated.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Yesterday was not the best day for our octo zoo. I looked for Creepy last night and was surprised I could not find her in her den but the den is in the center of the tank and has opening and crevices all under the LR. Still, it was unusual not to see her with a flashlight. This afternoon I looked again and she still was not in her den so I started looking around the tank and saw her arms exposed at an opening in the LR at the side of the tank. She would not have left her arms exposed once she detected me so I assumed the worst and started figuring out a way to remove her. Fortunately, she had not deteriorated much (but did smell fishy) and I managed to manipulate two of her arms with a bent bamboo skewer to a place I could reach with my fingers. There was no resistence.

She was a lot smaller than KaySoh and her arms never regained full length (as expected) but it does appear that she (like Beldar) may have chewed off the ends of several before she died. KaySoh never showed this affilction and her arms were complete when she died.

Attachments

• conv_296057.jpg
    conv_296057.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 107

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Creepy's loss was not as sad as losing KaySoh because we rarely saw her but I have gone to check on the tank twice before realizing she was no longer there.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
RIP Creepy, sorry you're having bad octo karma lately... :sad:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Not bad karma, Monty. Both females were post brood and the end was natural. KaySoh lived particularly long after brooding and CaptFish is experiencing something similar (Conanny also lived quite awhile) but in Leg's case, she is active and eating again but blind.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Creepy was preserved but did not preserve well because I did not find her until the next morning. Since Garrett was hesitant to disect his well preserved male and female hummelinckis, I wrote Jana and suggested that Creepy would be the ideal candidate for some summer biology. School is out so they had time to explore this week.

We just examined Creepy. Creepy's measurements are mantle 5.08 cm and longest leg 17.45cm. We were able to find the entire digestive system. The kidneys were still intact. We didn't have a diagram of the octopus anatomy, so we don't know if we were seeing what we thought we were seeing. He had so much fun, and so did I. Thanks again.
Jana and Garrett

Jana has promised pictures so I will add them when they arrive.

Latest Posts