• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Crawfish question

Crawfish Question

I just picked up a yet unidentified Octopus. The LFS told what I didnt want to hear, that it was "brown" or "common" octopus. It was gathered from the Florida Keys and is Brownish with some light marbling. Strange, as this LFS has always been on top of their inventory and always given good advice. But, after spending several months on here doing research I felt I could keep one. He is in an established 46gal corner tank. After one week he did not go after the tank previous residents (which I could not catch them all), 2 clowns and a damsel. I tried feeding on a stick (prawn, krill, silversides) to no avail. The first thing I got him to eat after a week was a crawfish. I have them around to feed other tanks I have (Zebra Eel, Goldentail Eel, Brackish Eel and Lionish). I put the crawfish in but the octopus did not show any interest. The crawfish even strolled right past him. Though the octopus is very active at night, during the day he hides mostly, with an occasional stroll around the perimeter several times daily. The next morning I found what was left of the crawfish (transparent hollow shell). So apparently he will eat them, even over a couple of smaller fish. My octopus has a pear sized bell and 8-10 arms. The crawfish was about 2" in length including claws. They go for about $.50-$.75 a piece here in Florida LFS.

Could the crayfish have molted in there? But i doubt it since they are fresh water. Was the shell partial or whole, and Btw octos have a max of 8 arms.

no, but its exoskeleton seems to allow it to survive for a longer period of time than say a freshwater fish does in marine water.. up to 30mins perhaps???

It definately didnt molt. Unless every one Ive thrown in all molt then disappear. The octo leaves behind just the shell when its done. I mis-typed as well earlier. It doesnt have 8-10 arms, but 8-10" arms...my bad.

He cannot get enought of the crawfish now though. He jets on over and parachutes on them every time now.

The craw fish I get for feeders, I pop them in the tank and they live until they get eaten. (Up to a week at a time)

So I think they are able to adjust to the salinity of marine environments.

I have found them to stay alive for a while as well. I have thrown them in a tank and found them a couple of days later. Sluggish, but alive.

Could it vary in species where some are brackish water and are hence better adapted to living in a marine environment while others are completely fresh water.

Something that's surprised me recently. I had fiddler crabs in the tank for Ollie, and I removed all I could find after she passed away. But a few escaped me. Today I saw one - I had been told they could live only 2 weeks in full salt water, but this one has survived for more than 4 weeks. The only change seems to be that he's a bit more shy.

Nancy

yeah, i have seen fiddlers in both brackish and full salt conditions in trinidad.. wasn't me that told you two weeks was it??? LOL :lol: :lol:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back