• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Crawfish question

smagin

Blue Ring
Registered
It definately didnt molt. Unless every one Ive thrown in all molt then disappear. The octo leaves behind just the shell when its done. I mis-typed as well earlier. It doesnt have 8-10 arms, but 8-10" arms...my bad.

He cannot get enought of the crawfish now though. He jets on over and parachutes on them every time now.

VL

Hatchling
Registered
The craw fish I get for feeders, I pop them in the tank and they live until they get eaten. (Up to a week at a time)

So I think they are able to adjust to the salinity of marine environments.

smagin

Blue Ring
Registered
I have found them to stay alive for a while as well. I have thrown them in a tank and found them a couple of days later. Sluggish, but alive.

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Could it vary in species where some are brackish water and are hence better adapted to living in a marine environment while others are completely fresh water.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Something that's surprised me recently. I had fiddler crabs in the tank for Ollie, and I removed all I could find after she passed away. But a few escaped me. Today I saw one - I had been told they could live only 2 weeks in full salt water, but this one has survived for more than 4 weeks. The only change seems to be that he's a bit more shy.

Nancy

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
The ones I get are used to brackish water. Often I see them kept in fresh water at the LFS. They must be adaptable.

Nancy

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
yeah, i have seen fiddlers in both brackish and full salt conditions in trinidad.. wasn't me that told you two weeks was it??? LOL :lol: :lol: