Crash

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Greg,
Where did you get the rock (LFS or direct from the ocean/ocean supplier?). What was it packed in? I agree there there had to have been something toxic and not likely natural on the rock because of the time frame. I don't think I have ever seen a report on new anything killing a tank that quickly. That is just plain spooky.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
It was shipped in, and promptly pulled out and pitched. It didn't smell at all, and looked healthy.
Still pretty mad.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
It didn't advertise brissle worm free or anything like that did it? I am thinking formalin or worm treatments that can be done (usually for seahorses) with some success but not for reef tanks.

I will be upgrading (someday :roll:) my 55 gallon. My live rock currently has no bristle worms or Aptasia. I have been considering using dead rock and letting my 60 pounds or so of live rock seed the dead rock - that way I won't get any surprises.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
If you've got good coraline growth on your live rock, it should take over the base rock quickly...yeah, I think that is a good idea.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Kosh says: ...

That's BAD, Gregman :sad: At least you still have your trusted old Polypterus weeksii to keep reminding you of why it CAN be fun, right?

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
P. ornatus !

Yeah, Piglet still makes me smile. It was tough to lose Kosh though, I'd had cardinalfish for quite a while.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
My bad, should have looked closer when I was over, but Piglet appeared quite happy amidst its algeal surroundings.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
The darker the tank the happier she is! I saw photos of them in the wild, almost writhing around in mud. In fact, she regularily air gulps while she rests on the microsword plant bed on the right side of the tank.
Good old piglet.

websitepiglet.jpg