Corwin/O'Shea collaboration on ANIMAL PLANET?

Yo, Steve-O'! Remember when you mentioned that you were a behind-the-scenes advisor on a "Jeff Corwin Experience" episode with some radula-in-cheek Archi scenes? Well, on ANIMAL PLANET they've been announcing over and over that on 9 March they'll be showing "Giant Monsters" with Jeff Corwin, and unless I dreamed it, one of the promotional spots featured a computer-animated Archi. This leads me to believe that "Giant Monsters" is the episode you were talking about. Please confirm -- if so, I don't want to miss it!

Tani

Just checked out the ANIMAL PLANET site -- the Giant Monsters special will air on AP this Sunday, 9 March, at 8 pm Eastern US Time:

http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/giantmonsters/giantmonsters.html

I was a bit puzzled by their "Monster Poll", where Archi was listed among extinct species such as the Giant Sloth, Saber-Toothed Cat, and T-Rex. It is quite misleading, and makes me wonder how they will handle it on the show itself.

Meantime, I'm still awaiting Steve-O's reply as to whether Giant Monsters is indeed the show where he acted as a behind-the-scenes Archi advisor.

Earth to Steve-O'?

Boy, am I feeling poked and proded. Have checked out the site and ja, I'd say that was the one (I've seen that animatic squid before .... somewhere .... seems like a long time ago now). Quite an interesting animatic where Jeff gets eaten by the squid, except I don't believe Architeuthis propels its tentacles out like that, or hovers horizontally in the water column. That's alright - I'll turn a blind eye until someone gets the in situ imagery to prove it one way or the other.

Hope I get a copy soon; would appreciate hearing what you all thought of it.
Cheers
O

(now I'm going back to my hibernation, until the next time I'm poked from slumber :wink: )

Steve O'Shea said:
Boy, am I feeling poked and proded. Have checked out the site and ja, I'd say that was the one (I've seen that animatic squid before .... somewhere .... seems like a long time ago now). Quite an interesting animatic where Jeff gets eaten by the squid, except I don't believe Architeuthis propels its tentacles out like that, or hovers horizontally in the water column. That's alright - I'll turn a blind eye until someone gets the in situ imagery to prove it one way or the other.

Hope I get a copy soon; would appreciate hearing what you all thought of it.
Cheers
O

(now I'm going back to my hibernation, until the next time I'm poked from slumber :wink: )

Hey Steve-O', the show aired on ANIMAL PLANET last night -- twice in a row! It was two hours long and lots of fun. In fact my son (who usually could care less about zoology and nature shows) watched the whole show with us and actually enjoyed it. So it appears that the impressive computer animations had their desired effect of generating interest among a wider audience than the usual AP geeks (like Richard and me).

As for us old farts, we found the real-life animals just as fascinating as the animated "monsters". One of my favorite parts was the two-toed sloth cuddled up around Jeff's chest like a furry reversed backpack -- just made me want to reach into the TV and hug that funny-looking li'l sweetie (the sloth, not Jeff :biggrin2: ) Plus the pregnant Goliath tarantula was amazing -- I've seen photos and models of bird-eaters, but never a live one before. After watching it crawl on Jeff's hand (which was actually too small to accommodate its bulk), the animated Megarachnids were almost a letdown.

The Archi segment really was well-done, though I agree they did play up the "man-eater" stereotype a bit too much. I guess that's another semi-justifiable stretching of the truth in order to keep the viewers' interest. As you said, the horizontal stance and the cuttlefish-style attack are also permissible until proved conclusively otherwise. Anyway, that simulated head-on beak shot was pretty awesome -- and the lead-in with the calamari-eating scene was funny and clever.

I remember, throughout my childhood, that T-Rexes were portrayed on film as predators who dragged their tails. Now they are more accurately portrayed as scavengers who keep their tails in the air horizontally for balance. So I assume the same improved accuracy will occur with Archis as popular imagery gradually catches up with scientific research.

The only real disappointment was at the end when they neglected to list your name in the credits as a scientific advisor. I think we should all write a nasty letter of protest, threatening to boycott ANIMAL PLANET forever, or at least until the next episode of "The Planet's Funniest Animals" is on. :smile:

OK, now you can go back to your lair "until the latter fire shall heat the deep". We'll wake you when the next Archi washes up on the message board....

Tani the Terrible :twisted:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back