Coral Reef Restoration

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
The Coral Restoration Foundation has been set up to expand Ken Nedimyer's on-going efforts to make a difference in the reef environment. I am the webmaster for both his commercial site, Sea Life Inc. and CRF and would like to invite you to see the latest news. Ken has been growing staghorn corals on his live rock farm from a few small frags that grew their naturally and has been working with the authorities to use these corals to attempt to repopulate the dying reefs in the keys. Much of the LR farm is populated with cuttings from those first frags with the help of his daughters, students and other volunteers.

Last Saturday (August 15, 2009) Ken, one of his daughters and a group of students were able to witness spawning of the aquacultured corals that had been planted on Molasses Reef (heavily destroyed by a commercial ship wreck and has been slow to recover in spite of efforts by the government). This is the first documented spawning of transplanted aquacultured corals. Please visit the site and view the video(s) when you have a minute for good news.

I enjoyed looking at this site - thanks for posting it, D.

It's encouraging to read about people who are making a difference with ocean conservation.

NIce idea to have have people adopt corals!

Nancy

Thanks for looking Nancy. If you look on the sponsor page, you can see what an adoption looks like. Unfortunately, I don't have updated photos for these yet so the impressive growth is not yet displayed like in the private adoptions. The Adopt-A-Coral program is still fledgling and labor intensive but it helps get people involved and is a nice educational element. The diving workshops are an experience that anyone diving the keys should enjoy.

I love how people are helping the coral reefs. I hope to become a marine biologist some day help with coral restoration.

Right now i am volunteering at M.S.I which is a marine science institute at U.C.S.B. I volunteered there last year and they had on octo and that is where i decided i want an octopus. I must say they dont treat there octos very nicely. They have 3 and they keep 2 in jars. Also they took the eggs from one of the moms.:mad:

Just want to say i am happy that people have realized that the coral reefs are important. I read some where that there is a fine that if you hurt any coral. Say your boat sinks and destroys some coral you get fined. Its really an expansive fine. I think it is in Hawaii. Keep on helping the corals!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back