• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Coral and stuff

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
It is repeated over and over on this site that it is so important to cycle the tank for three months before the addition of a cephalopod! But can coral, liverock, echidnoderms etc be added prior?

Also i am a beginner!! I have a few questions bare with me!

How do you attach coral? This will probably sound very stupid to you guys but i dont get it!! haha :oops:

What does liverock do? :roll:

What is your preffered filtration for a cuttlefish

Can cuttles be kept with corals, anenomes, urchins, stars, and nudibranches etc?

thanks very much!!

sam

Re: Coral and stuff

oscar said:
But can coral, liverock, echidnoderms etc be added prior?

Yes they can. :biggrin2:

oscar said:
ow do you attach coral? This will probably sound very stupid to you guys but i dont get it!! haha

Coral should not be kept in a cuttlefish tank since they can be stung by them; and one octopus ate a coral here. :wink:

oscar said:
What does liverock do?

Not to sure about that myself, I know that it helps to cycle the tank and gives hiding spaces for the cuttle/octopus.

oscar said:
What is your preffered filtration for a cuttlefish

A large filter (canister, wet dry, bio-wheel, etc. etc.) and a very large protein skimmer since cuttle ink is very dense and it will help remove it, and because they are very messy!

oscar said:
Can cuttles be kept with corals, anenomes, urchins, stars, and nudibranches etc?

They can only be kept with echinoderms like urchins (pencil only, other kinds will poke the cuttlefish or octo) and starfish.

:welcome: to TONMO, Oscar! :biggrin2:

Hi Sam,

Yet more reply to your many questions:

Anemones should be avoided because they might sting your ceph.

You asked about how coral is glued to rock -
Here's a website for gorgonian coral, a very pretty coral that stands up like a tree - it can be glued to a plug or to rock using the glue sold on this site (which is probably a superglue).

http://www.garf.org/36/gorgallabout/allaboutgorgs.html

I'm going to try some of this coral in my next octo tank, but I know that the octopus may move it, overturn it, cover it with sand, etc. (Thanks to Colin for directing me to this website - the coral has done much better after being glued into plugs.)

Liverock acts as a biological filter - it is colonized with beneficial microbes, algae, and other organisms beneficial to your aquarium and which help with the filtration. It's also attractive and can grow beautiful coralline algae and other interesting organisms. Lastly, it's a surprise package - the last live rock I bought contained a tiny black and white stripped whelk, which is growing nicely now and is quite showy in the tank.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back