• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Copper?

I recently got my sump and my tank from craigs list and have no idea if copper was used. if I put other inverts such as hermit crabs and a clean up crew in it will they also die if copper was used?

How sensitive are octos compared to a clean up crew?

If you're using an RO/DI, you should be fine???? I'm not sure though. I don't think you can get copper in your system from copper pipes. And yes, there should be 100% absolutely no copper. Don't go out and buy a test kit though, you need to send it in because the test kits aren't very accurate and probably won't detect any. Put it this way: if there is any copper in the system, but it's less than an off the shelf test kit can pick up, it can still kill an octo. Your going to want to send it in and have a company test it with science grade tests. JMO

I have a quick question. A ran into someone at Home Depot that is friends of my brother and he has two 30 gallon tanks connected by a tube separating the pacific from the Atlantic. Asked him about copper, and why would there would be copper in tanks. He made a comment about the phosphate in Florida and that he gets his water filtered, which still isn't 100% phosphate free.

Would that be a problem, assuming of which tap water would be used would that mean that I shouldn't buy a tank from CL? Would I be best off going to Walmart to get pure water 5 gallons at a time and a new 75 gallon tank.... Opposed to buying a used tank and use tap water?

I get the two tanks connected by the tube part, but the whole separating the Pacific from the Atlantic part I don't quite understand. Could you elaborate?

Tap water isn't really an option. Fluoride, chlorine, and who knows what else is in it. Phosphates aren't good and shouldn't be introduced by top-off or water changes. Food adds phosphates as well. A good RO/DI system should remove ALL contaminants. I wouldn't buy the water at Wal-Mart either. You don't know when the last time they changed out the filters on their RO water system, and after a while they do wear out and filter less junk out.

Buying used equipment is fine, you just have to make sure whoever you bought it from knew what they were doing. Pictures of their previous tank before breaking it down and ASKING if they ever used Ich medication or the like would be a good idea.

I haven't seen the tubed tank but I guess he has two reef tanks and one of which is Pacific themed as for the other is Atlantic and the fish can "travel the world".

So, where should I get my water? Or, how should I go about getting pure water in a tank?

Okay, that makes sense now.

I'd bite the bullet and invest in an RO/DI unit. Can be expensive, but in the long run you'll save money and gas and energy. You could buy your water from a LFS if there is one anywhere around you. Having the RO unit keeps you from having to haul jugs of water and pay the extra $1 per gallon though.

Pre-mixed saltwater runs about $1.50 per gallon around here, so you can imagine it adds up pretty fast doing 15-20 gallon water changes every week or two. A decent RO filter will cost you about $150-$200.

Ahh, so tap water plus RO/DI unit I would be set? I will worry about the technicality of the two in the months to come until then I will just ponder and dream.

pro2010;132524 said:
Ahh, so tap water plus RO/DI unit I would be set? I will worry about the technicality of the two in the months to come until then I will just ponder and dream.

Yeah, you can hook the RO/DI unit up to your sink, or under your sink, or up to your washing machine in your laundry room or wherever there's a water source and it's handy for you. It's actually very easy to hook up too.

L8 2 RISE;131301 said:
If you're using an RO/DI, you should be fine???? I'm not sure though. I don't think you can get copper in your system from copper pipes. And yes, there should be 100% absolutely no copper. Don't go out and buy a test kit though, you need to send it in because the test kits aren't very accurate and probably won't detect any. Put it this way: if there is any copper in the system, but it's less than an off the shelf test kit can pick up, it can still kill an octo. Your going to want to send it in and have a company test it with science grade tests. JMO

There is copper in natural sea water.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-11/rhf/index.php

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back