• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Copper in Tanks

Is there any way to get copper out of tanks? I got a very nice, free, 125 gallon tank from somebody at my mom's work who used to raise and show angel fish. I haven't tested for copper and she said that she didn't think she used anything with copper in it. I was hoping to put Pudge in it and eventually a cuttlefish from octopets in the Buy, Sell and Trade forum.

There is no proper way or removing copper without remving everything else from the tank EG all the silicone.

There is a good chance that the tank would be okay, only way to tell would be to fill it with RO water, leave it for a few days and then do a copper test on the water.

joel_ang said:
Cuttlefish? Do ya plan on getting one Nick?

Yup. I've heard that they can be kept together, is this true? And if so, how many to a 125 gallon tank? Also, how much live rock do they need?

I've been looking for a challenge as I've heard that cuttles are harder than octos. ( I consider freshwater eels and teacup rays a challenge, my first tiretrack died in a month, first teacup in two days.) :smile:

Well nick, this is going to be harder than teacups and tyretrack eels put together!

As for cuttles, 1 to 125 depending on species. The 2 most commonly seen are bandensis (a short lived dwarf) and officinalis (which gets big quick)

Cuttles need a lot less live rock as they can often hurt themselves on it by jetting backwards.

Thinking waaaaaay ahead
Which one would you recommend?
I'm leaning towards officinalis since I believe that's the only cuttle that octopets can get.
Would my 125 galllon be sufficient for one?
And when it inks how much of a water change should I do?

NickA5582 said:
I'm leaning towards officinalis since I believe that's the only cuttle that octopets can get.
Would my 125 galllon be sufficient for one?
And when it inks how much of a water change should I do?
Yes it would be sufficient. Some people say 25% water change but I personally say 35%. :smile:

Ink removal!

I used to rely on skimmers to remove ink - were quite efficient even when tank was BLACK. Would never have had enough water for a major change unless it was planned but that may have been less than ideal? Ask Colin?!
(Sorry Colin)

LOL no prob Mike, was online same time anyway :smile:

if the cuttle/octo inks until the water is black i did a water change ~25% and always had the skimmer on until the tank was totally clear... always worth changing the carbon after a heavy inking too.

One reason i always recomend getting a big skimmer

The bigger the skimmer the faster the ink is removed. Carbon filtration can be used to remove ink in smaller tanks. I only change 20% of the water as I find my cuttles get pretty nervous if I change any more than that. :smile:

...I have a medium sized skimmer because since I change 25-30% of the water I have already removed most of the ink...but my O.V inking is a very rare situation, it happens once in a blue moon so I rarely change the water. On the other hand my euprymna ink's at any moment whether it is moody or scared. :smile:
So you figure out the rest. :P

Did you ever get round to taking/posting some pics of your two Dave?

Would like to see them :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back