• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cooling a tank--cheap?

Rusty, its the type that has a reservoire of water within it that i got, but i think that the type with the water barrel on top should work but have never taken one of them to bits!

Now, i dont pretend to understand how this bit works but its apparantly the 'BTU's per hour that decides whether it will work or not... I found this link while i was trying to remember the 'BTU' part... Why a dorm fridge will not work as a reef aquarium chiller quite handy!

C

PS Matt, i think that would be too cold for the fish at 'bimac temp' The lowest I had my bimac at was approx 62 degF and there was no significant change in behaviour

Yep, the heater is on the fish side of the aquarium. The species of octo in that tank is a tropical species so thats ideal for the fish's requirements too.
There is only a difference of approx 1 degree between the tanks, no problem :smile:

C

how about attaching a (or multiple?) cpu fan and heat sink to the back of the tank? it's basically an imitation of the ice probe. i've been tinkering with the idea but i've been suck on a cheap thermostat to use to kick it on. altho you could just 'let it go' 24/7 and let it fight with the heater at the lower end. a more direct variant would be tapping into a closed loop just like the ice probe but that's too much work for me. :roll:

really down and dirty would be a window ac unit either directed at the tank or flexiducted to run right onto the tank. not too visually pleasing tho unless you're handy with tools. hth

Hey Tiny:
Its funny that you mention the window airconditioner. I have all of my tanks in one spare bedroom with a window unit installed. When it starts to get hot I just set the temp on the window unit and everybody stays cool. (Of course I have to fiddle a little bit to get the water temp where I want it but it beats spending $$$$ on a chiller or two) :smile:

I have read of freezing water in small plastic coke bottles, keeping a supply of these in the freezer, and putting one in the sump whenever necessary. But I've never tried it - might be too extreme a temperature change.

Nancy

diy coolers

I had a block of 4 CPU fans on a coral tank - they were directed at the water surface (parallel to the surface, and facing down) and they did quite a good job of cooling. They don't last long 1in above saltwater, though.

Now I have a cheapo 6in clip-on fan blowing directly into my sump, and no more coral growing lights. THe temp has gone down to 72 degrees! The only caution there is having any metal rust fall into the water.

I've tried the ice method, but in my opinion, it's too harsh and labor intensive. But it works in an emergency.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back