• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Cooling a tank--cheap?

Wow, this just sounds better and better. It's perfectly logical that a food-grade chiller would just happen to be the same kind of design we would want. Hm. Well...all this means I must reconsider my plans of a sump design, too. It'd be easier to connect this to a sump, plus that would make it easier for me to explore the cooling tower idea.

This is great, guys! Lots of lovely and practical ideas! :biggrin2: Thanks lots.

Colin, how much "oomph" do you get out of this thing? During the summer, I bet I would be looking to knock my temp down from 80 deg. F (26.7 C) to about 70 deg. F. (21.1 C).

rusty

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I bought this to keep Eledone ( a cold water species) and i need it to take water from ~68 to -50deg F.

I experimented with the chiller and it almost froze a FW bucket of water so I'm sure it will work for you fine... Just start phoning these places, give 'em the details of why you want it and that should start their brains thinking of a solution as far as a chiller is concerned.

C

(smacks forehead)

I have a distant family member who owns more than one bar (or "pub" for you, Colin! :P ) I will try picking his brain... maybe he has something laying around. I'll still try local outfits too, though most of them are closed over the weekend.

You mention "office water fountains." Now...are you referring to the "water cooler" with the big upended bottles of pre-filtered water that get delivered every week, or are you referring to the fixture-style water fountain, sometimes called a "bubbler" wherein you push a button/lever to get water to bubble up? The phone book lists many dealers of the former here in Springfield, but I don't know about the latter.

rusty

LittleMatt

Cuttlefish
Registered
I have a water cooler at my fathers office. He just asked me today if I wanted to use it for the tank. It's almost like he read my mind. He said he had one lying around that he wasn't using. Now, I intend to split my tank in half, so I can have a bimac and some fish. Do you think this "chiller" will be too cold for fish? What is a good temp. for a bimac?

Bimacs are supposed to be happiest at around 70-72 F, I believe. I'm not sure how to hook one of these things up yet...hoping I can work that out once I find one! But I'm guessing that freezing your octo isn't an issue. There should be, somewhere, some built-in means for controlling the temp of the cooler. If there isn't, you should be able to compensate somehow (my mind's been chewing this over for a while now!) If you have water running through a coil immersed in the cooler's reservior, for instance, then perhaps you can physically vary the amount of the coil actually immersed. Or if it's like the design Colin mentioned, perhaps you can install a valve that would let you control the flow rate of the water.

rusty

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Rusty, its the type that has a reservoire of water within it that i got, but i think that the type with the water barrel on top should work but have never taken one of them to bits!

Now, i dont pretend to understand how this bit works but its apparantly the 'BTU's per hour that decides whether it will work or not... I found this link while i was trying to remember the 'BTU' part... http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~cap/raid/chillers/dormfridge/ quite handy!

C

PS Matt, i think that would be too cold for the fish at 'bimac temp' The lowest I had my bimac at was approx 62 degF and there was no significant change in behaviour

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Yep, the heater is on the fish side of the aquarium. The species of octo in that tank is a tropical species so thats ideal for the fish's requirements too.
There is only a difference of approx 1 degree between the tanks, no problem :smile:

C

tinyreef

Hatchling
Registered
how about attaching a (or multiple?) cpu fan and heat sink to the back of the tank? it's basically an imitation of the ice probe. i've been tinkering with the idea but i've been suck on a cheap thermostat to use to kick it on. altho you could just 'let it go' 24/7 and let it fight with the heater at the lower end. a more direct variant would be tapping into a closed loop just like the ice probe but that's too much work for me. :roll:

really down and dirty would be a window ac unit either directed at the tank or flexiducted to run right onto the tank. not too visually pleasing tho unless you're handy with tools. hth

lawfish

GPO
Registered
Hey Tiny:
Its funny that you mention the window airconditioner. I have all of my tanks in one spare bedroom with a window unit installed. When it starts to get hot I just set the temp on the window unit and everybody stays cool. (Of course I have to fiddle a little bit to get the water temp where I want it but it beats spending $$$$ on a chiller or two) :smile:

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellvn

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak