• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Convert your wet/dry to a refugium

noni

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
If you have the old wet/dry systems, you will get more out of it when converted to a fuge. Its easier than you think.
Take out the bio-balls, they help produce too many nitrates. Take out the filter pads also. Raise the pump half way up so it does not suck up sand and fill the wet dry with water as much as you safely can while off to determine the highest water level when off.
Replace with a good sand bed of 4 inches if possible, find some macros to plant in your filter, get some good quality live sand, pods and a shop light on top lit 24/7 and you have the beginings of a well balanced tank system.
pH swings will be gone, oxygen values will be at optimal levels all the time, your environment will be functioning as it should and your specimens will have better health and live longer.
I recently converted this year to a fuge and I am sorry I didn't do it sooner.

To learn a bit more about Noni's refugium (fuge) ideas click the link to some pages with more information.

....its also worth mentioning that removing all of your filtering capacity, whether its bioballs or not, will result in an all out system crash. Not to be advised unless you are starting afresh.

I'm not yet convinced that a refugium of a size used for a reef tank will be able to cope with the waste that a cephalopod produces, unless the refugium was very big. Its also advisable to have a prefilter.

Ammonia and nitrites are much more of a problem to a ceph than nitrates are.

i think that a refugium is an excellent way of setting up a ecosystem tank but will require extra filtration on top of it against what a reef tank would need.

The link .....Use These Tips to Create a Saltwater Aquarium Refugium

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back