• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Considering an octipus - worried about lifespan

nix77

Hatchling
Registered
Hi all

firstly - your octopus' look very cute. I love how clever they are. I have several animals, and would obviously get as much info as i can before i proceed, but before i get too carried away I would like to know:

how long do the octopus' live? it says from 6 months to 2 years, but does this change with size? how common is it to have an animal for 2 years? my worry is that i would get attached to it, and I dont want to have something that i love for 6 months.

hope this doesn;t sound too soppy.

:welcome: to TONMO.

Unfortunately, short lifespans are unavoidable in ceph keeping, just because any octo small enough to live in a home aquarium only lives for a short time. One way to make more time with an octo is to find a tank-raised animal, so that its age is known when it arrives. Many octos that are wild-caught are adults who are already at the ends of their lives. I don't know if it's any consolation, but almost all cephs just have a different life-cycle than mammals in that they live short lives and produce a large number of offspring, so understanding that is an important part of the choice to keep one. But the fact that this is the natural way for these animals doesn't, of course, stop their owners from being attached to them.

For more information on keeping octos in general, you may want to read the "ceph care articles" at the top of the page. To get an idea for the ups and downs of ceph keeping and how people get to know their animals and react to their passing, there is a lot in the "journals and photos" section, since many of our members share their experiences there.

OK then. I think that having one is not for me then, i get really attached to animals, especially if they are as interested in us, and as interesting as these creatures seem to be. :sad: i realise this makes me seem pathetic, but there you go!

but thanks for the info, and i am sure i will be popping in here to see how all your guys are doing.

nix77;90835 said:
OK then. I think that having one is not for me then, i get really attached to animals, especially if they are as interested in us, and as interesting as these creatures seem to be. :sad: i realise this makes me seem pathetic, but there you go!

but thanks for the info, and i am sure i will be popping in here to see how all your guys are doing.

I don't think it makes you pathetic at all! Ceph keeping is not for everyone I am commend you for making the decision not to do it. Too many people try it on a lark and I think that is unfair to the animals. Thanks!

BTW, the hardest thing about keeping cephs is they die quick.

nix77,
One thing you CAN do but it WILL hurt is monitor the various threads under Ceph Care - Journals and Photos. It is a vicarious way to enjoy a ceph without ownership. I will warn you that you can still become attached to the individual critters but you will get a good feel for why we keep them anyway.

I am getting close to loosing mine to old age after 3 months but have a couple of babies to try to raise. In spite of it all, I don't think I will ever not have some kind of ceph in at least one tank.

Try not to think of it in terms of time, try to think of it in terms of enjoyment. if you are woried about time, get a cold water species like the bimac.

I get really attached to animals as well, but the expeience of having a ceph for just a few months even in my opinion is well worth it. Ive kept almost every type of tank you can think of prior to getting into cephs. When I got my first octopus, it was almost like a completely new experience. They truelly are unlike any other marine animal.

I have to say, I am totally captivated by cephlapods. Presently, I have 2. It is hard knowing your time may be limited, but being able to experience them in your home, is absolutely amazing, especially if you do the research and house and feed them correctly. Each one, whether I have had the pleasure of their company for a month or a year is worth every moment.

And :welcome:

Carol

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back