• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Connecting Tanks

I would think you could/should build a sump.

You need more filtration anyway and they are easier to maintain while adding water volume. I added a additional tank to my sump to keep feeders, cheato, and aid in water changes. Things are easier when they don't have to be pretty for display and octo proofed, but still give you all the benefits.

Illithid said:
I would think you could/should build a sump.

You need more filtration anyway and they are easier to maintain while adding water volume. I added a additional tank to my sump to keep feeders, cheato, and aid in water changes. Things are easier when they don't have to be pretty for display and octo proofed, but still give you all the benefits.

I think there's a big psychological advantage when building a sump, too. A lot of beginners start out trying to get away with as simple or cheap a setup as possible: all the time people ask if they can put an octo in a 20 gallon tank with a powerfilter! A sump is more complicated, requires more effort and often more money. When you decide to do one you take the whole project a lot more seriously.

Dan

Ive kept octos in smaller tanks with just a hang on back skimmer and canister, and I cant believe how much maintenance I did! Doing it right with a sump, fuge, and big skimmer allowed me to have the time to actually enjoy the tank!

It does cost a lot more to start up, but its well worth it in the long run.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back