confused?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I think you did the right thing. The alternatives to you taking the octo were all worse, the the owner came through and gave your the octopus. It's some effort for you to accomodate this new ceph - I hope it all works out.

Also, I don't think the Ceph Care forums of TONMO.com are a place where people would be encouraged to request flashy octos that they shouldn't have, so you're safe in posting about it. Are you sure about the identification?

There is a sort of person who wants to impress people through keeping unusual or dangerous animals - I've encountered them on other forums, but even there they're not very common. Then there are the people who saw the TV show and are very curious - when I gave the talk in Baltimore, I had a question from the audience about mimics. It turned out there was one for sale in the Baltimore area (at a high price). I warned everyone against purchasing this octopus and explained why.

Nancy

voodoo

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
What I would love

I for one would love to see as many pictures and maybe even videos of this mysterious animal as you could collect. As long as the more experienced members of the board don't think the footage would promote more people to try and keep mimics, this could be a great chance to share scarce information.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Well, it is a double edged sword, isn't it?
If you buy one of these captive octos (already dead to the wild population), you might learn more about it.
But, when you do buy it, you are encouraging the dealer/wholesaler/collector to get more...to sell to other people.

cthulhu77 said:
Well, it is a double edged sword, isn't it?

Thats the life story of home aquaria and a lot science!

Interesting thread, lots of good points brought up on both sides. I tend to agree with Neogonodactylus, but also see the others points. Man, glad I'm not in that position! By all means, please do keep us posted!

Cheers!

Well yes all of these posts make alot of sence and i agree with them! but just to clear this up to everyone, sure they might look cool and sound cool but if you only knew what they go through to arrive at the lps then you would to agree with me that mimics are not the way to go the only reason i got mine was for study and a rescue perpose there is no show about him infact there is only one person that has even saw him other than me, its up in my room and the door is locked i dont want anyone messing with him and or possible encoragement to getting one! thats why im iffy about pics and video but the only way i would put them up is if people wouldnt get into wanting one. look guys you dont need one okay an octo is an octo some with more characteristics than others but they all have eight legs trust me you would be better off with a bimic but you might also say who is this guy to be telling me this? rite but look how would you like to have cyanide poured on you and your house? hmmm cool huh... NOT! then imagine going on a 20 hour flight to the other side of the world! now umm do you think you would be able to survive that! NO! the cyanide would have killed you within minuites! but if you guys here think it would not have much affect then sure i would gladly put some stuff up although there will be many of members that will do anything to get one after i do so i dont know if its a good idea! and i will keep posted on osiris by the way thats his name ha ha feelers helped me out with that its the egyptian god of the dead!

well i hope this whole thread made everybody think, i hope it mad you think that mimics are not really that cool once you see what they go through if i could choose to take a bimac over a mimic i would take the bimac and thats what you all should do to! so please understand that the mimic should be left to nature!

thank you guys for all the help! and i will keep you posted!

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
OCTO OAKLEY said:
but if you guys here think it would not have much affect then sure i would gladly put some stuff up although there will be many of members that will do anything to get one after i do so i dont know if its a good idea! and i will keep posted on orion by the way thats his name ha ha feelers helped me out with that its the egyptian god of the dead!

Er, isn't Osiris the Egyptian god of the dead? Orion is a constellation of "the hunter"-- wikipedia says he's also a Titan in Greek mythology.

Anyway, from a purely greedy standpoint, I would love to see pictures of and hear stories about Orion, and I hope he does well in your tank. But I'll understand if you are worried about that. It seems to me that if the pix and videos are included in this thread or one that explicitly states that you/we don't believe these animals should be collected and sold as pets at all, it might be OK-- in fact, maybe people looking for videos when deciding about them would be exposed to the reasons not to support the trade, etc. Alternatively, maybe they could be posted in some restricted way so that only registered TONMO users were allowed to see them, or there was a very explicit notice about them, or something.

Also, although it sounds like your LFS guy is pretty reasonable already, I was thinking it would be a good idea to show him the discussion on this thread, since he's in a position to have some influence on the trade (and I think he came across as looking very responsible and reasonable in your descriptions.)

:welcome: Orion ( we don't have a mimic/wonderpus smilie!)

oops i put orion yeah its osiris i meant to put that ha ha! typo! and see that would be totally fine to put some vids and pics up i just dont want it to send the wrong message that its okay to keep them cuz its not! so i will keep track of everything, water changes food ect. everything and anything even every crab and shrimp its ate when it comes out and when it hides, if it inks just everything that you can think of will be written down! i hope to have a huge research paper photos and all within in the time i host my little buddy! and hey monty thats an awesome idea i will let him read this when i go to the lfs again so he can get a better understanding and different view points!

but are smilies just gif's? if so i could make hundreds im really good with paint shop pro and this gif animator! so if thats the case just give me ideas and i will make them into smilys!