Complete newbie requesting help with first octopus setup!

Don't krill have hard shells? Maybe the little micro-harpoons that anemone use won't "stick" to them very well. I'm guessing here, but it seems reasonable.
I found that I was over feeding my anemone, so now I let a pinch of flake food rehydrate for a few minutes in a glass of tank water until it sinks, and then I suck it up and spot feed the anemone. What the anemone misses is snatched up by the fish, so I feed two for the work of one.

Fandango

Hatchling
Registered
Hey Katy, I just wanted to thank you for starting this thread, and to everyone else for replying and keeping it going! I too am preparing myself to take the octopus plunge and I am so relieved that such an enormous and comprehensive thread like this is going on - I feel like I've learned so much from reading! I look forward to more updates!

djkaty

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
So today my question is about water changes.

Current water parameters:

Temp - 28C
pH - 8.3
SG - 1.024
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0.01ppm (which with my chart reading skills is as close as dammit 0)
Nitrate - 7.5ppm

The question is, is there any point in changing the water if the existing parameters are ok?

Yes! The reason is that water chemistry is much more complex than the simple model that we use to track it. There are many things that we know are important but don't measure for, and probably many other things that are important but we don't know it. Water changes are a way of reset everything, not just the few things we measure, back to a stable state. It's a little like rebooting a Windows computer at least every few days, even if it hasn't crashed. On the other hand, for convenience, you can experiment with waiting a little longer between water changes, based on the good water parameters.

djkaty

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Aha tyvm. I'm supposed to be going on a little trip to Romania on Monday (and tbh I don't actually know if I can be bothered or am well enough even though I paid 400 euro for the tickets). I've tought my neighbour how to feed, check for leaks, replace the evaporated water, check the fish and anemone and test for ammonia. So I want to try and make sure everything is as easy and risk-free as possible while I'm gone.. if I go. I will mix up some saltwater.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Cool, two things. They are nocturnal, which for you might be good :biggrin2:. And they are usually pretty small, a dwarf species. D had one

what about George?
Anyway you could get a picture or video of the Macropus?

As for as you being ready. I think you are ready but what I think is irrelevant the question is do YOU think you are ready.

Here is D's journal of Beldar who was thought to be a macropus
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?16057-Beldar-Macropus-Complex-(-)

Sedna's Macropus
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?15869-Artemis-macropus-complex

and another
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?15891-Lennon-Macropus-complex

djkaty

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Well, before I read those, here is the situation:

1. I wasn't sure if macropus was an appropriate species so I need to do some reading around that
2. My anemone is sick, I am in the process of setting up a 'naughty tank' for George as I've eliminated all other factors, it should be ready by Wednesday
3. My big tank is not octo-proofed at all, I had planned to worry about this later - is it a problem for octopus macropus?
4. I will probably have to borrow money to get it as I'm skint from my holiday
5. The bioload of the tank is almost nothing - 4 crabs, the fish and the anemone - do I need to wait til I have more stuff in there producing ammonia?

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
3. My big tank is not octo-proofed at all, I had planned to worry about this later - is it a problem for octopus macropus?

Yes you would need to octo proof, ie put lid and cover the return(s), and overflow.

he bioload of the tank is almost nothing - 4 crabs, the fish and the anemone - do I need to wait til I have more stuff in there producing ammonia?

I think your fine.