compatibilty with fish

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Steenmillinder, Tankmates - animals that share the same tank.

Jean, I think Shipposhack was referring to cuttles and seahorses and particularly S.Bandensis and seahorses. I have also heard they can coexist easily and have been tempted but not daring enough to try. I agree about the octos though, I wouldn't even try a dwarf with an Erectus just watching my little guys grab at shrimp. It is not likely they could damage the Erectus's boney hide but I think the grabbing would stress the animal enough to kill it.

i can't believe i'm actually considering to sacrifice all my present and comming fish for an octo or cuttle tank! but there is also the issue of my wife since the main tank is in our livingroom, so it's not only my opinion...
so many choises so little room (and money)...
I think i need time for research and decision making, can i squeeze in a 3rd tank?(it's gonna be tuff convincing the miss'es, or i could sacrifice my mantis plans..)

I'm not just facinated by these creatures, i keep thinking about the subject during the day since my incounter with the vulgaris, I can't really let go of it. And youtube certeinly doesnt help getting rid of this obsession like state that i find my self in, i'm almost through all the octocasts, and instead of reading airlaw and radio comunications(i'll be in naples florida all 'octo'ber and november doing pilot lessons, any octo/cuttl'ers near by i could visit?) i read about marine headfoot'ers damm it!!

I miss breeding my rift vally cichlids(a lot actually), maybe in the future when my knowledge is sufficient and i feel ready, i'll try and breed cephs, but that is a dream for the distant future.
I want to breed something challanging and rare(i thougt maybe bangai cardinals, or copperbands, but compared to cephs!?!! they seem like gubys and mollys). But not just for the fun of it(and because the baby's are probably adorable), also to help beare some of the load put on nature, so less of these facinating and beatyfull cratures have to be kidnaped from the oceans just to "entertain" a bunch of hairless abes...

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Depending on your time, there is a research aquarium in Sarasota that just happens to have two Vulgaris that you can get up front and personal with (everyone know where I'm going here :wink:). I think it is about 100 mile (give or take) north of Naples.

To see a preview:

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/7876/page-7

about the middle of the page (further down in the thread I have a link to pictures of my visit to Mote that includes more photos of the vulgaris - look for my avitar and an imbedded link). You will find numerous pictures of Mote Aquarium

http://www.mote.org/index.php?submenu=Aquarium&src=gendocs&link=Aquarium&category=Aquarium

in the thread as that is where TONMO's second gathering occurred earlier this year.

There is also an aquariuim in Miami but I have not been in a long time and don't know if it is still worth going to see. Further north, in Orlando there is a large aquatic theme park called Sea World for an entertaining day but no cephs.

If you continue north into my neck of the woods (Atlanta, GA) we have a brand new aquarium with a single GPO (Giant Pacific Octopus) and a nice display of Leafy Sea Dragons.

Further north and west is the Chatanooga aquarium but no cephs.

Ready, set Google.

thats cool, thanks a lot, i'll see what options i have...

I probably wont be posting as much for now coz most of my questions are slowly being answered in the articles.
So far there is no way i can afford having a ceph, but but but it's not that bad. I dont need huge matal halides, nitrate filters (don't know about phosphates yet), dont need heaters. Since nitrates arent that bad, maybe a sump with a huge skimmer and loads of large surface area filtermaterial like bioballs or something could do it.
I whould probably put in a lot of glas "walls" that seperate the sump into chambers. Every second wall whould be higher then the water surface and the bottom of the wall being an inch above the bottom of the sump, so that the water i forced to flow under. The rest of the walls are to be in contact with the bottom and the top of the wall about an inch blow the surface, so that the water i forced over the top.
I dont know if i'm clear, but what i try to describe is something like a continuos spaced out bubble trap with the water flowing op through the first chamber, down through the next, up through the camber after that and so on(a picture >1000 words).
So since the water has to travel a longer distance, the contact potential between the water and the surface of the filter substrate is an equevalent amount larger. And also adding some air into some of the chambers and a powerfull return pump whould help feed the archea ( http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v442/n7104/full/nature04983.html kida cool it's archea and not 'just' bacteria, thats why i added the link) and bacteria the oxigen needed... instead of electrical bills, live shrimp bills

i still havent given up on it yet, think it whould be a bimac if anything, got my new tank, it's a little more then 6,5 feet long, and 2,3 feet deep and about 230 us gallons... i'm in florida from the 3. of oktober to the 10. og november, naples, if anybody lives near by, id love to see their cephlopod tank...

the tank can be seen in the bottom pictures of this thread... http://www.saltvandssiden.dk/debat/vis/15269

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Steen,
I have a concern with the nice looking rock structures (mainly because I have a similar problem with a conversion I want to make next year). The archway looks far too fragile for an octopus (unless it is cleverly glued) and might easily be disassembled with harm coming to the octo.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Steen,
I am assuming then that your rocks are not live rock? Not knowing your background I want to be sure you know that LR should always be kept in moving saltwater and never be allowed to dry. Just checking.