Colour banding in ammonoids

..but the specimen can stay in the ammonoid area since there's an ammonoid just next to the nautilid (I'm exposing it slowly and carefully). Having seen the Lituites I now wonder if the colour bands are the edges of the septa showing through.

Attachments

• conv_297891.jpg
    conv_297891.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 128
  • conv_297892.jpg
    conv_297892.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 146
Nice to see that ammonoid :sly:

Why or how would the septa make a color band? It seems it would just make the shell a little thicker with the mural part of the septum (if it had some), and if the septa were sutured to the shell without a mural part there would be very little shell thickening. Would that form of preservation also cause color bands on the thick parts and sutures of the ammonoid, bivalves and brachiopods?

(That is a lingulid isn't it? :heee:)

Yes, it'll be good to see what that is when it finally shows itself.

I'd look to diagenesis for an explanation of how a septum could make an apparent colour band, i.e. mineral precipitation. Mineralization of septa can be spectacular in some ammonites (e.g. those from Scunthorpe in the northern UK), but not visible when the opaque shell is present. In the Lituites case I'd guess the thin stripes of colour are iron oxides or hydrated iron oxides and they are visible because the shell is translucent.

No lingulids in this rock (that I've seen at least): there are several examples of Promyalina, a Claraia off to the left and a Eumorphotis with a Promyalina sticking out of the body chamber of that cephalopod. It's a wonderful hand specimen of "life just after the catastrophe".

What an interesting "rock" you picked up on that field trip Hajar, really fun watching your progress with it. I don't quite understand the significance of the color banding yet, but am reading all the links and papers you and Kevin provide and the discussion is priceless :grad:. What process are you using to prep your speciman?

Aren't fossils great, just like reading a good mystery novel before the end of the story is written! (except for the re-reading and looking up of big words).:popcorn:

Thanks kevin! I saw the talk last year and would like a copy.

I agree Terri. I've picked up a lot of new knowledge from that short trip and this one rock, with all the trails of inquiry it provokes. I don't have any sophisticated prep tools, so it's just a Dremel.

If I was not worried about ruining a really nice speciment, working down through the surrounding rock with a dremel seems like a fun set of afternoons. Keep posting your progress. The vicarious "work" is fun :biggrin2:

Yup, bivalves. I've looked over the rock for lingulids, but none that I can see. It's becoming quite fiddly working down through the rock behind that pair of bivalves. When the battery is recharged I'll take some more photos.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back