• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Colour banding in ammonoids

I just noticed that this little basal Triassic ammonoid has very distinct (when wet) orange colour bands spaced at about 2 mm apart, close to, but crossing, the very fine growth lines. First time I see this, though I know it has been recorded from Triassic ammonoids elsewhere. Does anyone else have examples?

Attachments

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I know you (Kevin) are kind of against messing with fossils but is there something non-destructive you can put on them that will allow them to show the colors like that (like an oil) without having to wet them?

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Hajar is correct, it may be important, wetting it once in a while to photograph is enough. You never know how some coating will react with the fossil, or color in this case.

I did find some Mississippian Goniatites with a dark pattern on a light calcite replacement, looked kinda like the pattern on Nautilus shells. Then I found another with the plant roots still in place and saw what really formed the pattern. :oops:

Klug et al, have something to say, especially about the radial color bands, whether this applies to all radial bands I don't know.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtledragon

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak