Colossal Squid off Australia - Science 2.0 (blog)

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
Well, that is very interesting news.

You know, that arm stuck to that Kaikoura Canyon sperm whale the other week did look rather odd for Architeuthis. Enlarged photo of Kaikoura whale below. Rows of small marks, lighter than the whales skin, are visible; the green lines trace their curvatures. Now, to me, some of marks look like short hook marks scratches, and the visible sucker structures on the severed arm look pretty robust. Besides, hooks are probably more apt to hold fast to the whale then suckers. If Mesonychoteuthis is heading North with some frequency,* I'm just sayin' that Kaikoura's latitude isn't much lower than Portland's. Fun thought.

Hope we'll get some pics of the Portland thing.

Clem

Clem

* All depends on whether or not the Portland squid really was Meso and not some poorly-known or unknown cousin.

Attachments

• conv_299824.jpg
    conv_299824.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 105
Portland Austrailia, not Oregon, says the article. I don't know where in Austrailia Portland is... need to look it up when I'm not on a phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back