• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Colossal Ammonite from Canada

Phil,

I see your point, but I think that the discovery of large teuthoids seems to indicate an ecological importance in the modern day oceans. I see what you mean about theorizing all we like; truth is, I see a lot of diversity between various species themselves, but little across the board class-wise. Yeah, the vertebrate rule has put the cephs on the back burner apparently, but I'm not entirely convinced that its so cut and dry.

Thanks for the great info! You've given me a lot to think about.

Sushi and Sake,

John

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Phil said:
I'm not entirely convinced that one could argue that cephalopods are undergoing an evolutionary explosion. After all, one could argue that the class has been somewhat reduced since the Cretaceous period following the disappearance of the ammonites and belemnites.

Oh gawd, did I really write that a year ago? Can I take it back? I really don't agree with much of that post of mine after reading bits and pieces over the last year. It was somewhat limited perspective, cephalopods positively bloomed in the Tertiary, even if the variety of basic cephalopod body plans is currently less than it was....

Oh well, you live and learn, I suppose.

That's right! Our molluscan overlords are arriving soon! Suffer, fellow pitiful mammalians!

:nautilus: :octopus: :squid: :meso: :ammonite: :nautiloi: :vampyro: :bluering: :belemnit: :cuttle: :onycho:

Ia Ia Cthulhu ftaghn!! :cthulhu:

Just yanking your tentacles, Phil. I still think that you had a point there though...

Sake for all!

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kezrah

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak