• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Collecting Specimens in Hawaii!!!

Greg

Hatchling
Registered
I'm going to Maui tomorrow, and I'll be there for the next week with internet access, so please don't stop giving me tips! :smile: I'll be in Kehei about 45 minutes from Lahaina. (sp?)

What cephs can be collected in the Maui area? What should I bring to collect, ie how many nets and of what size? Where should I look for the buggers?

Any tips for collecting? I have a QT all set up for anything I may bring back. Actually, let's not limit this to just cephs, any cool critters you think I should look to bring back would be of help too.

I don't have a scuba license.

Thanks guys!

Mizu

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
you should bring back......

Memories

i am NOT a big fan of catching stuff in the wild and then forcing it to live in a cage.

specially something as intelligent as an octopus which would understand what was going on.

take pictures and video and then give a farm born Octo a good home.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
hi greg,

better look into what's legal too? I dont think its all that easy to be honest

Cheers
Colin

Greg

Hatchling
Registered
All true.

But, it really is almost as easy as I made it sound. All I need is an aquarium permit, that I can get at the Fish and Game Dept on Maui. Plus, it's free! :smile:

I mainly looking to bring back maybe 2 or 3 Hawaiian Bobtails.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gary T

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak