• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Clearview / Octo Lids

Hi, I bought a clear view lid for my tank. It fits snuggly but is fairly light weight and has a mesh center. I did not secure it down more tightly (with say velcro or DualLock or more weight) and my octopus lifted the lid and crawled out (sadly). It's a good, snug lid but really designed to keep fish from jumping. You will want to add some additional measure to keep your octopus from crawling out. Also, they are custom made and delivery takes around 2 months, so plan accordingly.

The tank continues to cycle and is almost ready for business. So, one of the last steps is a lid. Does anyone have any experience with either Octo Aquatics – Est. 2004, Accept No Substitute or ClearView Lids - The Difference is Clear and the answer is here! ?

It's unclear to me how secure the lids are.
Hi, I bought a clear view lid for my tank. It fits snuggly but is fairly light weight and has a mesh center. I did not secure it down more tightly (with say velcro or DualLock or more weight) and my octopus lifted the lid and crawled out (sadly). It's a good, snug lid but really designed to keep fish from jumping. You will want to add some additional measure to keep your octopus from crawling out. Also, they are custom made and delivery takes around 2 months, so plan accordingly.
Was the mesh thick enough? One concern I have is that my octo pal will squeeze through the holes.

The mesh is about a quarter inch square, too small for an octopus to squeeze through. It is attached to the acrylic frame through a standard spline, so I suppose a strong octopus could pull the mesh away from the frame, but have not heard of this happening. Maybe others on the forum could comment.

The mesh is about a quarter inch square, too small for an octopus to squeeze through. It is attached to the acrylic frame through a standard spline, so I suppose a strong octopus could pull the mesh away from the frame, but have not heard of this happening. Maybe others on the forum could comment.
Well, this is very useful information. I've been worried about a young, small, octopus pulling itself through the mesh. I'm sure I can figure out some way to anchor the mesh down. I'll be keeping a briareus or other small warm water species (since identification isn't perfect), so I'm not super worried about the octopus bending the material. I suppose I can device a way to firmly anchor the lid through tight straps, etc.

This is helpful feedback. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back