Clarence - O. briareus

I am not sure :oops:. IF Yeti is O. briareus then I would say he is a couple of weeks younger but there are a couple of oddities that have me wondering. His eye stalks and mantle look unusual to me compared to others I have kept and I don't see the typical green sparkles. Other aspects are the same though so I could be my over active imagination or the fact that I don't have good photos at this age (I have smaller and larger pictures but not at this size). I have had one animal I will never be sure of an ID (and think I have it wrong after seeing one of our new journals) and one that it took months for me to change the ID back to my original guess. However, this is the first time I have ever had doubts about O. briareus :roll:

im guessing these guys grow pretty damn fast! if he is MUch smaller than clarence and only behind by a few weeks haha!! the green sparkles are my favorite hahah

The growth rate is another thing bothering me, he seems to be growing more slowly than I remember (it has been about 2 years since I raised my pair from eggs). I can see that he has doubled in size now for sure but for a long time it looked like he was not growing at all. Every night I look at him and try to see the typical O. briareus but I keep noting the oddity of his pear shaped mantle and more Y shaped eye stalks and can't be sure. Hopefully he will at least grow to O. hummelincki length but I don't think he will be as thick as O. briareus or O. hummelincki.

Yeti was larger than a hatchling but still very young. If he is my second choice (my only other found possibility is Atlantic LongArm) he will be 2 months older than he looks since that would make him a small egg species and 30 - 60 day are spent in the water column. In this case, the hatchling is quite distinct and until Roger Hanlon captured and raised a couple, no one knew what the hatchling became.

Typical and size are not two words easily used with octopuses with a lot of meaning. Even octos from the same brood with the same food supply can vary greatly. That being said, if you will look at the last page of any of my briareus threads you will see a tape measure and the expired octopus (and we encourage others to do the same as it is the only real way we can measure them). Here is a link to Tatanka and I would say he was a "medium" for the species. We have seen them quite a bit larger (Legs - Capt Fish is one that comes to mind) and a few smaller. Do note that final pictures are not usually at the octos largest size if they survived a complete life cycle. During senescence they stop eating and live off their body so they become smaller, more in girth than length.

To best navigate to find journals about a species, select Advance Search at the top of any page and then type briareus into the search keyword box and select search by Title only. You can also put a member's name in the User Name box to further limit your search but I suggest looking at several (looks like I am up to 11 briareus now :biggrin2:). I encourage members to title their journals with the animal's name and species to make searching easy (and will make this change for any who request it since the titles require a staff member to be changed). Once you pick a journal you can right click and open in new page/tab to retain the list. On the octopus' journal, click Last and, in most cases, final pictures will be near the end of the last page.

ah i see, i havnt been on in a while... ive been in tahiti snorkeling in the reefs! sadly i didnt see any octopi :sad: That is a big boy hahah , certainly a tank.

heres clarence eating today , looks like hes been well cared for while i was gone! i love seeing him change colors

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back