• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Circulation and flow

Cephkid Your a diamond mate!!!

On your photo number 3 im lookin at your pipework and thinkin....

1) You have drilled holes in the pipework to create a spraybar effect with it comin out the end as well havnt you??

2) Is the pipework fixed in the tank with suckers along its length to help it stay up?? an if thats the case doesnt the octo pull it down?? my fear is that is exactly what'll happen especially when its at full growth, any thoughts?? i cant rememebr how old your set up is

Nice tank BTW, is that some kinda montipora in the same pic??

Noticed you have another kinda softi ( cant rememebr pic near back left of your tank an can never rememebr name of softi!!!) in there that i want an am gunna put in me nano reef when i get that rollin aswell!!

Cheers :biggrin2:

1. yep. :mrgreen:
2. screwed into the black overflow, and has these black "clamps" inside the overflow. 3 years old.
3. the softy on the right is a kenya tree, the ones on the left are zoanthids that use LOTS of light if you want full coloration.

HTH!

I went with a closed loop system. I have a 1500 gph pump that sucks water in from two spots in the tank and returns it via 4 spots. I posted pictures of it a while back. I like this method a lot, no powerheads, less cords and the tank seems tidier.

im settinng up my tank right now and ive drilled 2 holes for the returns one on the top left side of the tank and the other on the bottom right of the back that way i get a good circulation when piping the returns put a tbar at the top left corner to connect the to returns to 1 pump that way when the power goes out it doesnt drain your tank into your sump and furthur onto your floor

RandyB Wrote:

I went with a closed loop system. I have a 1500 gph pump that sucks water in from two spots in the tank and returns it via 4 spots. I posted pictures of it a while back. I like this method a lot, no powerheads, less cords and the tank seems tidier.

Yeah mate I really like this way of gettin circulation as long as the intake grilles are not too tight to be clogged all the time and not too apart to let him get in. Not sure an intake like tights would be a good idea here. Not pretty either!!

Only thing is, is that ive no room above tank for pumps to do this :confused: have to think about it, whic is all i can do at mo, no time to continue my set-up and manage tank properly at mo. doin my head in!!!

joefish84 Wrote:

im settinng up my tank right now and ive drilled 2 holes for the returns one on the top left side of the tank and the other on the bottom right of the back that way i get a good circulation when piping the returns put a tbar at the top left corner to connect the to returns to 1 pump that way when the power goes out it doesnt drain your tank into your sump and furthur onto your floor

Yeah mate ive got similar... return at high level one (RHS) and then tank is drilled on other (LHS) at bottom with a weir in front, but i reckon there should be more flow than just that.

Nice one

im going to be using an external pump that is going to pump water into the top front left side of the tank and also the back bottom right to get a good circular flow the t for the split will just be at the top of the tank that way if the power goes out the tank wont drain. also i am using 1 inch return piping... i figure in a 75 g that will be enough flow for the octo along with 2 overflows

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back