Chromatophores Firing After Death

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
This was a particularly sad video to take but I noticed her chromatophores were still active. This activity is mentioned often for both octopuses and squid but we did not have a film of the activity.

I don't think so but I don't get to read many new scientific papers. Recently there was a question as to whether or not the arm might detect light on their own and a recent study suggesting that this is possible but I am going downstairs to see Steve's Nat Geo adventure so will look later. Severed arms will do this though so it is not the main brain.

OK, Steve did not find his archie in the Sea of Cortez but I did find where I posted a reference to the Hanlon paper that suggest the skin my be part of color matching through light detection (the article is specific to cuttlefish and is only the beginnings of being studied).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back