• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Chromatophores Firing After Death

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
This was a particularly sad video to take but I noticed her chromatophores were still active. This activity is mentioned often for both octopuses and squid but we did not have a film of the activity.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I don't think so but I don't get to read many new scientific papers. Recently there was a question as to whether or not the arm might detect light on their own and a recent study suggesting that this is possible but I am going downstairs to see Steve's Nat Geo adventure so will look later. Severed arms will do this though so it is not the main brain.

OK, Steve did not find his archie in the Sea of Cortez but I did find where I posted a reference to the Hanlon paper that suggest the skin my be part of color matching through light detection (the article is specific to cuttlefish and is only the beginnings of being studied).

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Firing after death would be residual nervous activity (much like a chicken with no head running around for a bit).

J

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
yeah seen that, it was a bit of a joke around work for a while as our head of department was named Mike!!!!! :lol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasjedlicka

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak