CHEWY

Well I just got back and every thing went great!:biggrin2: Well I have done a little more on that music thing with him. I don't think it really worked. I think he just came out at the right times when I hit play.:sad: I have a new experiment in mind, its for my science fair at school. I am going to see how his body changes the color they do and also which colors mean what. Like when he is dark is he afraid or is he always trying to blend into what ever he is on. Any other suggestions about some experiments would be great too. My last question for right now. I am about to get some live shrimp. Would it be OK to keep them in a tank with an air stone? Would they live long enough to find to the octo?

Good luck on your science fair! post Q's if you need help. If you look at my posts under "raising octos from eggs" there's a good picture of a baby with the chromataphores fired up- they can color change from the time they hatch! My little babies wuold turn red when they got mad. Watch to see if he gives the same display for different events- like are his hunting patterns always the same? Is that different from his mad pattern? See if you can get photos of his different looks.

Well I just have a quick question. Would my octo be able to catch an 1 inch shrimp or are they to speedy for them? Oya and any one who has possibly a cool science project relating cephalopods would be great to know about. Got my science fair coming up. I kind of hope I would some time be a marine biologist.:biggrin2:

Thanks

My bimac tried to catch them when she was a few months old, and totally failed. She'd go after them head first, which didn't help!

But later she changed her hunting methods and waited until dark, when the shrimp hung out hear the top of the overflow. She'd turn black and sneak up on the shrimp while hanging upside down on the water surface!! At worked, in the morning all the shrimp were gone.

Nancy

I believe from my experience and the above comments that "it depends". I don't think my hummelinki ever caught the alive but they may have just been too small. I have seen hummelincki, mercatoris and now luteus flick them away when they become pesky without even an attempt to catch them but the first two would accept them dead-on-a-stick as it were (I have not tried with Beldar yet). I suspect a hungry octo would manage it though and they act as clean-up crew in the meantime so I usually have them in my octo tanks.

Well this really STINKS! I got the shrimp and they are a lot smaller then what I thought. They will simply be a snack to Chewy. Does any one know were you can get shrimp bigger then 2 inches?

I was afraid you were thinking of the kind we eat and ordering shore shrimp (they won't get much bigger). The only place we found "real" live shrimp was at a bait store during a trip to Charleston. I don't think they do well in shipping but we transported them in the car with good water circulation and "shrimp" buddies (used to help keep them alive in bait buckets - I think it is a water conditioner). They are really a neat thing to have in the tank but getting them is difficult. I did have a baby shipped as by-catch with my shore shrimp once and he grew to eating size before committing suicide by jumping out of the 4' tank. Note, however, that regular shrimp will not live in a bucket long enough for you to feed them out, they would need a good sized aquarium (ours were kept in my son's 65 gallon tank).

Can you get to a bait shop that has live bait? He will likely take most anything they have there. Since all octos seem to have their own preferences, try anything they have (buy one or two - I do this at the grocery seafood counter and the butcher does not even blink :biggrin2:)

Have you tried frozen shrimp on a stick (thaw the raw shrimp in saltwater and make sure the whole thing is at room temperature or he may reject it - about 10 minutes if you swish it around).

Any kind of small live crab, disable or remove the main pinching claw(s).

Experimenting with saltwater food (no petstore freshwater anything) is part of having a unique pet. Make it part of your experience and journal the result :biggrin2:

I am going to look around and see if I can find a live bait shop. I have heard a lot of you keep SW hermit crabs in your tanks. Where do you get these? I basically need something I can put in the jar but it still gives him a good feed when he eats.:smile:

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back