CHEWY

Supposedly, octopuses can't hear or at least there is no identified physical aspect of hearing. However, you are not the only person to report reaction to "sound". Octane's tank was on a shelf that was attached to the laundryroom wall. When the washer went into spin cycle he would react and I had to stop washing clothes after lights out. It may be that the base in the music makes a similar vibration on the tank. It might be an interesting experiment to find something with a lot of base and then try turning the base off and using music with very little to see if there is a difference in reaction.

gholland;133178 said:
Almost like reacting to an eruption? Wasn't that a show?

Octopus Volcano

Link is to the full German version but is in full and excellent even though I don't understand 10 words in German :sagrin:

He would become very nervous and would not go to be until all was quited. It took us awhile to figure it out and then I felt stupid for not understanding on the first observation.

Nancy, the mussels are about an inch to 2 inches long. Why does the size matter and I always remove uneaten food the minute I see.

I think I might look into the music some more and experiment a little bit.

thanks for all the comments.

Can you keep the mussles in a separate container? I have had very good luck with clams staying alive for a long time in my aquarium but not mussels and if your octo sitter does not remove them if they die the water quality problem Nancy mentioned will be serious.

It would be very interesting to set up a plan for your experiment, post it and then post the results. I know, this sounds a lot like school but school is really trying to teach you about the real world in a more structured environment :tomato: and where the results are know :razz: I know I am not the only one who would like to know what you try and what you find.

The mussels I got I didn't put in aquarium. I just have them simply in a plastic container. Will the work? Would it be ok if I did keep them in the aquarium or should I keep them in the separate container? One more question would an octo with a 2-3 inch mantle eat some of the amphrapods? Sorry I didn't know how to spell that last word.

Keep the mussels separate and put an air stone in the water. You should change out about half the water every day if you don't run a filter. They are not likely to last very long and you need to remove the ones that open and don't close on their own ASAP.

It is generally thought that most octos will snack on the pods (they are pretty much tiny shrimp) but the evidence is circumstantial, based primarily on octopuses that have survived when not fed.

My bimac Ollie loved amphipods and continued hunting for them even after she was considered far too large. In fact, she apparently ate every amphipod in the tank, and I had to restock several times. She did this even though she had crabs and shrimp to eat - they must be very tasty.

Nancy

First off I would like to thank every one for posting and helping me with my octo.

I have a question. I just got one of those koralia fans that you put in the tank. How so you octo proof those?:smile:

There is a mysterious cap and an even more mysterious disk that comes with them. Be sure you figure out how to assemble those two parts on the front and that they are snug. I threw away the first two without a clue on how to assemble them (they are in place on the octo tanks). The front parts separate easily but if you get them just right they will stay put. This adds a grid and an additional amount of space between the front of the Koralia and the blade.

So far, the numbers are against your concerns L8_2_Rise. I have them in all but one saltwater tank now (tank doesn't need it) and swear by them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back