Changed My Mind!

Just noticed the foods you mentioned available to you.

Keep in mind that the food required for newborns will be pods or maybe mysis shrimp. Ive never used mysis shrimp, but have heard others with success. Ive had some 3-5 day olds even take small 1/4 inch marine shrimps, but not all seem to. Crabs will not be an option until at least 2-3 months. I believe this is due to how cuttles catch them. With all live foods other then crabs, cuttles will use thier feeding tentacles to pull them in. With crabs, they shoot in and grab the crab with all thier tentacles. Usually from the backside of the crab. The cuttle needs to be strong enough to hold the crab from behind to avoid the pinchers. Baby cuttles show no interest in crabs until they are larger.

Ok. I figured I would lose several, if not all on my first try, but it's not going to happen unless I get some eggs. Yes, I have a source of mysis shrimp available for the babes. Nobody knows anyone who has eggs that they are selling, or do not want to hatch and raise? Nearly every cuttle tank I have seen has red gracilaria algae, so I got some today, but I am keeping it in different tanks until the 40 gallon is cycled. I would really rather prefer to buy eggs over adults, since they ship easier, and I will have them for longer, as long as I can raise them. I may go for the Seaclone 150 instead of the 100. The 150 is recommended for 150 gallon tanks I think. Is that overkill, or good enough? I also plan an HOB refugium for the main tank, and one for the baby tank, both of which I will seed with mysis, pods, and possibly a few crabs. I plan on making my refugium out of acrylic, and I want to make them about 2 gallons or so. I had a very good, and cheap source for fiddlers, and other feeders, but they went out of business this week...so I will be ordering online, and possibly some fiddlers and such from my LFS. My Wal*Mart sells ghost shrimp for $0.18 each. If I can get eggs, I will try my best to hatch and raise them all, but I will wait until I can sex them until I sell the remaining ones. I plan on putting several tank dividers with holes drilled in them to divide the tank into enough compartments to house all of them separately, unless there are too many babies, in which case I may have to pair them up in compartments. So, does anyone know anyone that is breeding sepia bandensis, or has any eggs?

Thanks to all who have helped me this far!!!
Brock F.

So far, Im not aware of successful breeding of Bandensis in the US. Righty's eggs were duds. My eggs were duds and my 9 month year old females have died. One I believe died from eating guppies, and the other was mostly blind from a birth defect that eventually just died. Having only males left for this generation leaves me out of the breeding picture until my next batch reaches maturity. However, I feel pretty accomplished having sustained 9 months so far!

A store in Florida was selling eggs, I cannot recall the name. Do some searching in the forums here for I recall it being mentioned. My experience from this batch was very different then my previous clutches of eggs. Definetly harder to get eating and a lot of cannabolism..

Aquatropics in gainsvill florida, and i would not go with a seaclone skimmer, very unreliable, i would go with a coralife superskimmer they are my personal favorite, if not a cpr bakpak would also be a good alternative as well as an aqua c remora.

Ok. I contacted Aquatropics, and i'm waiting for them to call me back with a shipping estimate. Too bad i'll be at soccer practice...I plan on getting them after the school year ends (I am 14), so I can devote all of my attention to them. Thanks again everyone!

Brock F.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
i need cuttle is right, the Seaclones have a bad reputation. I've heard a lot of good press about the Superskimmer: It isn't by any means the best skimmer, but it way outperforms anything in its price range.

Dan

Latest Posts