CHALLENGE

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
OK, guys, you asked for it. Here's pic #1 of the Amazing GS Discovery. We challenge you to figure out...

:arrow: What this is, and
:arrow: Why it's significant

Go for it!

Attachments

• conv_303240.jpg
    conv_303240.jpg
    954.5 KB · Views: 128
  • conv_303241.jpg
    conv_303241.jpg
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 126
Now that's a really good idea!! Wish we'd thought of it before we placed the stomach contents into a formalin solution to fix them (we've basically destroyed our chances of a good DNA sample now :x ).

If ever there's a next time we'll be thinking more clearly (I'm not so sure whether we can handle the same numbers of deep-sea giants like Architeuthis at the new institute; time will tell). In the meantime we'll console ourselves with the belief that the samples, having been exposed to digestive juices and souped up with all manner of other tissues from other squid species, would have been so contaminated that a clean DNA sample would have been unlikely; tissue sample/DNA contamination happens so often that I've had adult Architeuthis DNA-sequenced as both human and salmon before ..... :roll: ........ just some of those problems that occur in labs - but we'll not go there).
O

Upvote 0
Hello everyone!

Well, once again congratulations, and I can sympathize about the DNA testing... I probably would have forgotten about it as well, what with the excitement and all.

I'll may be away for awhile... Something terrible happened here in the states. One of our space shuttles, the Columbia, was lost in re-entry will seven astronauts on board.

In the summer of 1996 I was fortunate to work as an intern for our nation's space program at Kennedy Space Center. I worked for the biological sciences division, ecological monitoring. It was the proudest moment of my life, since space was my first love, long before biology. I met a lot of astronauts, and had more fun than any scientist or scientist in training should have... The Cape was home. My home.

I only ask that you keep these people, these brave souls and their familes in your prayers. Like all those who have endeavor to study the sciences and make the ultimate sacrifice for their work, they died that we may learn.

Good luck and may the Squid be with you,

John

Upvote 0
Well said John.

Our thoughts are with the families of the astronauts. Terribly sad.

Phil

PS Would DNA testing really been able to differentiate individuals?

Upvote 0
Sure...distinguishing between separate individuals of any species is easy to do (technically...time and money are obviously factors!) But it's very important, as Steve says, to prevent contamination. I figured Steve didn't even mention it primarily because of the garbage-disposal nature of the stomach...DNA from who knows how many animals in there. But human, Steve? :shock: Maybe Archi has a bit more varied diet than we thought!! :P

(yes, yes, I know...experimenter error...but I can just see the press frenzy if you just announced "I've found human DNA in an Archi's stomach!")

rusty

Upvote 0
Steve O'Shea said:

Lessee, now -- is it that cute, yellow, porous li'l dude about five shrimps in from the upper right, wearing a brown suit and tie and carrying a spatula? (Oops, sorry, I think he's just collecting the krill for this week's batch of Krabby Patties....)

But seriously, folks, is it possible that one of those UFOs (Unidentified Food Objects) is actually a large parasite hitherto not known to afflict Archis, such as a tapeworm? I've heard that some great whales can carry tapeworms 100 ft. in length, and that tapeworms can live in non-mammalian hosts such as fish, so perhaps this is a similar parasite in a size commensurate with that of its host.

Yes? No? Maybe? Dumbest thing you ever heard? RSVP!

Upvote 0
(Oops, sorry, I think he's just collecting the krill for this week's batch of Krabby Patties....)

Actually Tani we had a student here once who was studying krill and he made krill patties for morning tea once!!!!!! They were well ..............bad! very strong fishy flavour and crunchy!!!! the things we do in the name of science!

J

Upvote 0
Jean said:
Actually Tani we had a student here once who was studying krill and he made krill patties for morning tea once!!!!!! They were well ..............bad! very strong fishy flavour and crunchy!!!! the things we do in the name of science!

J

Hi Jean --

Hey, ya never know.... check out my "Octopus (Pro) Wrestling" thread on the POP CULTURE forum. (But whatever you do, don't tell Steve-O'!)

:wink:
Tani

Upvote 0
yuk

Whatever it is - its disgusting!

It looks look poop!
I know - its baby giant octopus poop :shock:
Babies eat all sorts of strange things...

I'm a librarian - I've no idea what it is, so do I win the dummies prize?

KRin

Upvote 0
I'm with Krin -- what's the summary here? I got lost somewhere between the tentacles containing sperm and the krill. What's in these pictures? I gather they are "toothed" suckers, based on fig 6-3 from the States and Measures document. What's the significance? Was the specimen male for female -- do we know? :?: Inquiring minds and all that! :?

Upvote 0
Re: yuk

krin said:

It looks look poop!

KRin

"Librarian," my tail flukes! You can't fool us with that screen name, Krin -- you are really Steve "Croc Hunter" Irwin! Who else gets all enthusiastic and hyper about animal poo? Now be a good Aussie, put the doo-doo down, and go back to smooching with Terri and tying up crocodiles (or vice versa), Crikey, mate, you are fair dinkum bonzer an' all that, eh wot?

:wink: (Just funnin' wit' ya....)
Tani Terrific

Upvote 0
Yeah...where are we anyway? I think we left off at "We're looking at an Archi's stomach and the sucker rings of another Archi or very similar species, so it ate at least those parts of it...but why?" There was an earlier statement that I thought implied there was more to tell but that they had some work to do before they could tell us... :?:

rusty

Upvote 0
rrtanton said:
Yeah...where are we anyway? I think we left off at "We're looking at an Archi's stomach and the sucker rings of another Archi or very similar species, so it ate at least those parts of it...but why?" There was an earlier statement that I thought implied there was more to tell but that they had some work to do before they could tell us... :?:

rusty

Well said, Rusty, and I apologize for getting off-track. All right, then, I will essay yet another guess:

Is it possible that Archi's last meal was a ceph (or other invertebrate) native to "black smoker" or thermal vent environs? This would mean that Archis, as another member proposed, are actually bottom-feeders and that is why we only see the moribund ones.

Of course, that would pre-suppose that Archis can tolerate the heat and high sulfur content around "black smokers". But considering their unique ammonia-based physiology, and the fact that -- according to Ellis' book -- they appear to be immune to poison gases such as Sarin, it could happen. Or could it?

What say ye? (Remember, Yours Truly never got beyond Chemistry 101, so please be gentle!)

Tani

Upvote 0
Re: yuk

TaningiaDanae said:
krin said:

It looks look poop!

KRin

"Librarian," my tail flukes! You can't fool us with that screen name, Krin -- you are really Steve "Croc Hunter" Irwin! Who else gets all enthusiastic and hyper about animal poo? Now be a good Aussie, put the doo-doo down, and go back to smooching with Terri and tying up crocodiles (or vice versa), Crikey, mate, you are fair dinkum bonzer an' all that, eh wot?

:wink: (Just funnin' wit' ya....)
Tani Terrific

NO, NO, a million times NO! :evil:
That man is a complete nutter and I claim no repsonsibility for him.
It was just an accident of birth to be born in the same country as him.
I've never even seen a crocodile let alone poked one with a stick. I'm not that crazy.

I actually really am a librarian, honest. I work at the Cancer Council in Melbourne, Victoria.

KRin

Upvote 0
Hi all; sorry for the long absence - the transition hasn't gone as smoothly as we would have liked/as it could have, and we've found ourselves temporarily computerless.

More will follow soon - our intention is to present something more comprehensive within a couple of weeks - though we may be doing it from cyber cafes.

Cheers
Us

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back