Cephalopod Videos

Dying giant squid found and brought to shore. Perhaps the most interesting thing is the ejeculation of spemataphores as it is dying.
Published on Jun 22, 2017
To use this video in a commercial player or in broadcasts, please email [email protected]

Here are some good articles for those who are interested:

General info - Architeuthis dux

what the white things are that come out when it is on the beach - http://tolweb.org/accessory/Cephalopo...

and how they reproduce - https://www.tonmo.com/pages/architeut...

Friendly giant Pacific octopus

Published on Sep 20, 2013
This octopus was out hunting and had just recently caught a crab. After exploring the camera's lights, it swam off a short distance. I had always wanted to feel an octopus' suckers, so I removed my glove and let the tentacles latch onto my hand. At first the sensation was much stronger than I had anticipated. The octopus seemed to show curiosity at this point and kept trying to place more arms onto me. As you can see, it seems much more interested in my bare hand than any of my dive gear. Because these octopus have a ripping, crushing beak like a parrot, I decided it was safer to not let the octo get too friendly. I'd hate to be 'the guy who got bit by an octopus' although, it probably would have made me a lot more money.

Giant Pacific Octopus totally engulfs scuba diver
This incredible footage was recorded by Dennis Chow at Dillon Rock near the amazing Browning Pass, just north of Port Hardy on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. While exploring a wall during this particular dive, Dennis, Shaz and Wes noticed a Giant Pacific Octopus hiding among the rocks and plant life of the wall. These creatures can grow to a 16 foot span and weight upwards of 110 pounds. As you will see in this amazing footage, the creature had transformed to replicate his surroundings. The amazing part about this is that they are colorblind but are still able to duplicate the color and texture of their surroundings when feeling threatened by a predator.<br><br>These divers are extremely experienced scuba instructors and dive shop owners. At no time was this animal at harm, nor was it not at the top of their list of priorities of maintaining its safety and well being. Once Shaz began coaxing this creature out for a better look at his impressive size, you notice he too starts to "check out" Shaz by extending out a few legs to test what was near. Once he started to fully engage with Shaz, Wes was definitely near to ensure her safety at all times. Octopus will engulf its prey as this one did with Shaz, and then if its regular food, inject crustaceans like crabs with a paralyzing saliva then dismember them with their beaks.<br><br>This guy definitely had Shaz in his grip, until Wes decided it was time to help release him and go back to his normal habitat. Incredible!

Rare Find from the Deep Sea
Scientists study a newly hatched dumbo octopus

FEBRUARY 20, 2018Deep-sea dumbo octopuses, with their large eyes and round fins that resemble elephant ears, are arguably one of the most endearing creatures of the deep. They've also been one of the most mysterious, because these small animals inhabit the largely inaccessible, deep and dark depths of the ocean floor.

For the first time ever, a team of international researchers were given the rare opportunity to observe and film a dumbo octopus—measuring just a few centimeters—hatching from its egg during an expedition to explore a chain of underwater mountains off the U.S. East Coast in 2005. Their findings were published Feb. 19, 2018, in the journal Current Biology. ...

Amazing Octopus - Most Intelligent Animal - Series Of Tests - Must Watch- Documentary HD 2017
PlanetEarth HD Documentaries
Amazing Documentary about the unbelievable intelligence of these animals, in this video you will see how these creatures can manipulate their environment, and use there high IQ and brain power to solve a number of situations presented to them by scientists, enjoy!!

Cuttlefish 2018
A new technique is allowing researchers to study the inner workings of a cuttlefish brain by tracking colour changing cells in their skin. These cell are directly controlled by neurons extending from the brain. By monitoring the cells with high resolution cameras, researchers can track the activity tens of thousands of neurons at once for the first time. Read our news story here: https://www.nature.com/articles/d4158... And find the original research paper here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s4158...

We spent a whole dive and most of our air saving this octopus from what was bound to be a cruel fate. The coconut octopus, also known as veined octopus, is born with the instinct to protect itself by creating a mobile home out of coconut or clam shells. This particular individual however has been trapped by their instincts and have made a home out of a plastic cup they found underwater. While a shell is a sturdy protection, a passing eel or flounder would probably swallow the cup with the octopus in it, most likely also killing the predator or weakening it to a point where it will be soon eaten by an even bigger fish. We found this particular octopus at about 20 meters under the water, we tried for a long time to give it shells hoping that it would trade the shell. Coconut octopus are famous for being very picky about which shells they keep so we had to try with many different shells before it found one to be acceptable. Filmed in: - Lembeh, Indonesia - December 2018

Ted talk by Roger Hanlon
The Amazing brains and Morphing Skin of Octopuses and other Cephalopods

Octopus - Enteroctopus dofleini (Giant Pacific Octopus, GPO)

Octopus - Enteroctopus dofleini (Giant Pacific Octopus, GPO)

This is an amazing video. It has shown me an octopus in a way I've never seen before - the close-ups of the sucker action, the strength of the octopus so clearly demonstrated. Incredibly informative. this will really help me understand them well for when I write my octopus stories. If a picture shows a thousand words, this video shows ten million. And that young guy is just lovely.
My nephew had a very clingy girlfriend once. His sisters called her "The octopus" Now I know why.

The Distributed Mind: Octopus Neurology
EPHALOPOD WEEK IS NIGH: From June 21 to 28, celebrate our favorite undersea creatures with Science Friday. https://www.sciencefriday.com/cephalo... It was in a lab full of marine invertebrates that Dominic Sivitilli first glimpsed something uncanny about the mind of the octopus. Among all those creatures, the octopus “seemed to be studying me as much as I was studying it,” says Sivitilli, a current graduate student in behavioral neuroscience and astrobiology at the University of Washington who works in the lab of David Gire. Together, Gire and Sivitilli study how different kinds of brains process information. In addition to using 3D body tracking, Gire’s lab is experimenting with new methods of studying the octopus’ nervous system. In a first-of-its-kind experiment, researchers are attempting to implant an electrophysiological monitoring device into the brain of a living giant Pacific octopus. Using the conductivity of the sea water itself to power the device, the experiment will combine 3-D tracking of the octopus’ movements with the realtime neurological data in an attempt to decode how the animal actually controls its body—and to what degree its arms are autonomous.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back