Cephalopod Videos

I don't know what happened to all of nevergirl's video as Hanlon's was attached to post #14. I intended to include it when I started the thread but got side tracked. Definitely a classic! Also missing is Mucktopus' (Crissy Huffard) aculeatus video should someone find a link, please add.

Edit: Adding the Science Friday version Where Dr. Hanlon is interviewed and talks about the video, camouflage and chromatophores.

Last edited:
Dumbo Octopus: April 26: Okeanos Explorer Gulf of Mexico 2014

Published on May 9, 2014
Spotted during the NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer Gulf of Mexico 2014 expedition and identified as the highlight of the cruise by many of our scientists and viewers alike, this dumbo octopus displayed a body posture that has never before been observed in cirrate octopods.

Baited Remote Underwater Video Survey - Octopus Attack (New South Wales, AU)

Published on May 13, 2014
Whilst carrying out some sampling on the proposed site for the Shoalhaven offshore artificial reef using (pilchard) baited underwater cameras, we saw a pretty amazing sight that we'd like to share with you: A large octopus is attracted to the bait, however he quickly switches his attention and attacks a banjo ray resulting in a ferociously big scuffle!

Part 2 coming soon - what the crafty octopus does next...!

Please note - if you look carefully you can see that the ray swiftly escapes the scuffle towards the end of the clip.

Octopus
Octopus Charges Scuba Diver's Hands and Regulator Hoses
Published on Jun 28, 2014

While filming an octopus near its den my dive buddy approaches. The octopus immediately rushes over to him and grabs his hands, then seems to try to attack his regulator hoses, and then darts off leaving and ink blast behind

O. vulgaris I think. Nice to see one (Atlantic Ocean - Jacksonville, FL) in situ as the report I got from Tampa Bay Saltwater is that they have not seen them in the Gulf since the oil spill.

Mucky Secrets - Part 16 - Cuttlefishes & Octopuses - Lembeh Strait
Published on Jul 24, 2014
Cuttlefishes and octopuses. Part 16 of my documentary, "Mucky Secrets", about the fascinating marine creatures of the Lembeh Strait in Indonesia.

In this video I look at cuttlefishes (Sepiida) and octopuses (Octopoda); types of cephalopod (Cephalopoda) found in the Lembeh Strait.

The broadclub cuttlefish (Sepia latimanus) is the second largest species of cuttlefish, and the most common on coral reefs. It can adopt an infinite number of textures, colours and poses to camouflage itself, communicate and to hypnotize prey.

As the name suggests, the crinoid cuttlefish (Sepia sp.) tends to hang around feather stars. We find one hiding amongst the branches of a decaying staghorn coral. This is an undescribed species known only from Indonesia, and recognised by the dark spots at the front of its lower arms.

The dwarf cuttlefish, or stumpy-spined cuttlefish (Sepia bandensis) is a tiny species that is usually only seen at night. Rather than swimming, it usually uses its lower arms to walk on and explore the seabed. It is often found in association with echinoderms such as sea urchins.

Another species that walks on its arms is one of the real stars of Lembeh, the flamboyant cuttlefish (Metasepia pfefferi). When disturbed it abandons its camouflage and the skin adopts spectacular shades of purple and yellow, with waves of white radiating down the mantle. The colour changes are achieved by adjusting millions of pigmented cells in the skin called chromatophores. This is an example of aposematic coloration whereby a creature warns potential predators of its toxicity. Scientists have recently discovered that the flamboyant cuttlefish's muscle tissue contains a unique and highly potent toxin, proving that this display is no bluff.

We see an adult flamboyant cuttlefish using its special feeding tentacles to snatch prey such as small shrimps and gobes, and a tiny juvenile raising its median tentacles, a common threat display amongst cuttlefishes.

Cuttlefishes' intelligence and unique powers compensate for their lack of a protective shell. They have the highest brain-to-body-mass ratio of all invertebrates, and researchers have shown them to possess a good memory and a high capacity for learning.

Octopuses are closely related to cuttlefishes and have similar characteristics and intelligence.

At TK we encounter an undescribed octopus, a near relative of the mimic octopus and wonderpus, retreating to its burrow with a captured crab. The octopus usually injects the crab with a paralysing saliva before using it's parrot-like beak at the centre its arms to excavate the meat from the crab.

Finally on a night dive at Aer Perang we encounter a starry night octopus, Callistoctopus luteus, twisting and turning around the reef as it tries to escape my attention.

There are English captions showing either the full narration or the common and scientific names of the marine life, along with the dive site names.

"Mucky Secrets" is being serialised weekly on YouTube. Please subscribe to my channel to receive notifications of new episodes as I release them. The series will feature a huge diversity of weird and wonderful marine animals including frogfish, nudibranchs, scorpionfish, crabs, shrimps, moray eels, seahorses, octopus, cuttlefish etc..

Thanks to TekMerc (www.soundcloud.com/tekmerc) for the music track, "Untitled Ambient Tune" and to Ojini Project (www.soundcloud.com/ojiniproject) for the track, "Melody of the Lost Ark". These tracks are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.

Thanks to the staff and keen-eyed divemasters of Two Fish Divers (http://www.twofishdivers.com), for accommodation, diving services and critter-spotting.

The video was shot by Nick Hope with a Sony HVR-Z1P HDV camera in a Light & Motion Bluefin HD housing with Light & Motion Elite lights and a flat port. A Century +3.5 diopter was used for the most of the macro footage.

I have more scuba diving videos and underwater footage on my website at:
http://www.bubblevision.com

Last edited:
Octopus - Octopus Cyanea
From @Nick Hope 's prior series:

Published on Oct 9, 2012
Octopus Fight - Reef Life of the Andaman - Part 25

Octopus fight. Part 25 of my DVD, "Reef Life of the Andaman", available at http://www.bubblevision.com/marine-li... or view the whole 2-hour video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ncUVd...

In this video we encounter a day octopus, Octopus cyanea, attacking another that he unearths from the sea bed at Western Rocky Island in the Mergui Archipelago in Burma (Myanmar). It's hard to be sure whether the ensuing fight represents a territorial dispute between the two octopuses, or the aggressive mating behaviour of a determined male in pursuit of a female. If you have an opinion either way, please leave a comment.

At Richelieu Rock, north of the Similan Islands in Thailand, we see an adult domino damsel, Dascyllus trimaculatus, biting a day octopus. At first it might appear that the damselfish is feeding on the flesh of the octopus, but it is far more likely that the damsel is aggressively defending its nest.

Besides "day octopus", Octopus cyanea is also known commonly known as the "big blue octopus", "Cyane's octopus", and "common reef octopus".

After the scuba divers surface, we witness a small pod of rough-toothed dolphins, Steno bredanensis, cruising in the dive boat's bow wave in Phang Nga Bay.

Octopus - Enteroctopus dofleini (Giant Pacific Octopus, GPO)
This is a GPO encounter recorded on Facebook's Octopus Amy page. @AnnaDeLoach is one of the groups founding members

There only two photos of this "GPO Up Close Encounter". The time sequence was only a matter of seconds. I saw the GPO in his den at second 1, reached for my camera at second 2 and took this first photo as the attack was on as tentacles reached around my right leg and left arm at seconds 3 - 4. I could feel my mask being pulled from my face at seconds 5-6. My thoughts were to hold onto my mask and 2nd stage regulator at that point. My wife, Carol said one tentacle was wrapped around my alternate and the GPO head was up by my mask. Then it appears the GPO let me loose for some unknown reason as my wife took the second photo and went back into his den. Doug Miller and Jonathan Lavan swam up and the GPO reemerged and Jonathan took the video.

Octopus - Tremoctopus gelatus (Blanket Octopus)
Blanket Octopus - click on the YouTube graphic at the bottom of the video window to view.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back