Cephalopod Videos

nevergirl86

Blue Ring
Registered
Adorable little guy...but why are these videos so short? I would want to follow that octopus and watch what he did for as long as possible!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Octopus - Amphioctopus marginatus (Coconut Octopus, Veined Octopus)

Great find Fujisawas Sake

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I don't know what happened to all of nevergirl's video as Hanlon's was attached to post #14. I intended to include it when I started the thread but got side tracked. Definitely a classic! Also missing is Mucktopus' (Crissy Huffard) aculeatus video should someone find a link, please add.

Edit: Adding the Science Friday version Where Dr. Hanlon is interviewed and talks about the video, camouflage and chromatophores.

Last edited:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Dumbo Octopus: April 26: Okeanos Explorer Gulf of Mexico 2014

Published on May 9, 2014
Spotted during the NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer Gulf of Mexico 2014 expedition and identified as the highlight of the cruise by many of our scientists and viewers alike, this dumbo octopus displayed a body posture that has never before been observed in cirrate octopods.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Baited Remote Underwater Video Survey - Octopus Attack (New South Wales, AU)

Published on May 13, 2014
Whilst carrying out some sampling on the proposed site for the Shoalhaven offshore artificial reef using (pilchard) baited underwater cameras, we saw a pretty amazing sight that we'd like to share with you: A large octopus is attracted to the bait, however he quickly switches his attention and attacks a banjo ray resulting in a ferociously big scuffle!

Part 2 coming soon - what the crafty octopus does next...!

Please note - if you look carefully you can see that the ray swiftly escapes the scuffle towards the end of the clip.

QueenB

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Octopus in Love

I found this one a while back, and LOVED it. It's a cartoon, but still hilariously funny and I wanted to share it.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
This has been VERY popular over the years. It only won an honorably mention but its popularity suggests it should have won an award.