• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cephalopod survey

Hi all,

I am cephalopod scientist working in the UK on a book chapter (Cephalopod Enrichment) as part of a general invertebrate welfare book, and very curious as to your experiences with cephs as pets. I just want some very basic facts, like how much you have paid, where they come from and what cephs you have had. Nothing major and absolutely anonymous.I have no interest in using the information for or against keeping cephs as pets (from what I see the numbers kept are trivial and welfare way better than in science or aquaculture).

The survey is here and has 12 questions which can be answered in a few mins. It is just to get some background to the wider theme and not in anyway a major part of the chapter

Cephalopod survey

Many thanks for reading :smile:

Gav
www.drgmcooke.co.uk

I wish there was another option for where you obtained your pet - I obtained it through a Tonmo member - so kind of an online seller, but not really...

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I think reversing the major/minor scale multiple times within the survey will produce invalid results as it was easy to miss the changes.

awwh, 87 views and only 4 completed surveys - if you had all completed the survey I'd have enough to to say something interesting about what you guys are up to - would more cuttlefish/octos help bribe a few?!

please consider completing it, the hobbyist sector is all but unrecognised amongst the scientific and aquaculture communities!

sirreal

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
The bribe worked for me. Something to remember most of the members are not here daily. Most of the members who have cephs at the moment are here more often.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I'm glad you're interested in home aquarists. I agree that they keep their cephalopods under far better conditions are than do many research labs and public aquariums. Also ceph hobbyists have many interesting behavior observations and interactions to report about.

I documented a number of my experiences with my O. bimaculoides as "Ollie Stories" in our book, Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefishes for the Home Aquarium, by Colin Dunlop and Nancy King. Some of these anecdotes were later included by Sy Montgomery in The Soul of an Octopus. And you'll find some interesting posts on this site about interaction between ceph keepers and their cephs.

Really like the photos you've posted!

Nancy

I'm glad you're interested in home aquarists. I agree that they keep their cephalopods under far better conditions are than do many research labs and public aquariums. Also ceph hobbyists have many interesting behavior observations and interactions to report about.

I documented a number of my experiences with my O. bimaculoides as "Ollie Stories" in our book, Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefishes for the Home Aquarium, by Colin Dunlop and Nancy King. Some of these anecdotes were later included by Sy Montgomery in The Soul of an Octopus. And you'll find some interesting posts on this site about interaction between ceph keepers and their cephs.

Really like the photos you've posted!

Nancy

Thanks, Nancy, I have to stay away from anecdotes as this is an academic text, which is why I need the survey data. Could you encourage your fellow ceph pet keepers to take part? Only have 5 respondents which is way too few to report anything. I would have read your book but the only copies I can find are $150 +!

There are at least two ways you guys can influence public aquaria in particular, can't say what as it will invalidate the survey but without participants, my thoughts won't be taken seriously :/

Have a phot for your troubles :smile:

Gav