Cephalopod Osmoregulation

Out of curiosity,

What are the mechanisms and organs required for cephalopod Osmoregulation? Are they osmoconformers? I was thinking that their tissues might be for the most part isosmotic to the surrounding water; is this the case? Is there any osmoregulation variation across the class (i.e. adaptability to fluctuating ion levels in the surrounding water)?

Sushi and Sake,

John

:goofysca:
John, I here designate you an honourary Dr of the Tonmo variety, as in Dr John, with the expectation that you will moderate your own posts (and anyone else's posts on such alien matters) from this day forth. :notworth:

I think I have one paper that deals with such matters, although indirectly; will track down and see if appropriate.

I also think it is great that you have moved completely away from anything discussed earlier about octopus and squid. It really says a lot about our collective ability to inspire a community to continue research on the systematics, culture, folk lore and ecology of cephalopods! :lol:

I simply cannot answer your question. I hope someone else can, and I really hope that an entirely new area of research develops, with you at the forefront. To undertake such studies you'll have to keep animals alive; there will be a culture component to the research. We are still trying to keep squid alive in captivity (of non-sepiod/sepiolid/loliginid/Sepia varieties) :heee:

... and I'll add, you can stick a probe on any of my squid, any day. It would be an honour!

Steve O'Shea said:
:goofysca:
John, I here designate you an honourary Dr of the Tonmo variety, as in Dr John, with the expectation that you will moderate your own posts (and anyone else's posts on such alien matters) from this day forth. :notworth:

Sweet! Skip grad school! Do I get tenure as well? :grad:

Heh heh, just kidding Steve. Thanks for the kinds words and all. Who knows what the future holds?

Are you having trouble keeping your squid alive?

John

LOL; Tonmo tenure!

The squid are fantastic. Have had a couple of bumper days as far as gathering food for them is concerned - so many live fish that I've been able to stock up for a 'rainy day' (with ~ 100 spare in another tank; enough for an entire day ... almost). Have also got another bunch of eggs ready to hatch, so have started a mysid culture as well; have long-since stopped counting how old they are, and am prepared to go through it all over again with the next cohort.

Nope, things are sweet on the squid front; so-much-so I might have to let more go soon, as they'll rapidly outgrow their tanks if this growth rate is maintained. Should be able to give you live squid to attach probes to - that was where I was coming from.
Cheers
O

Sounds interesting... What are your research plans for them?

Why don't aquaria keep more squid? I mean, octos they all seem to have, but I hardly see any squid, except for the occasional cuttle...

Strange.

Howzit other than that?

John

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back